Rubicon in July....

Mat R

Reaction score
City, State
Woodinville(and all of western)
Year, Model & Trim Level
'85
Whelp,

Thunderhorse was had been talking about a July run and it died off...

Then I saw him mention something about how he still wants to do it in July. I thought I would take the opportunity to start the thread back up so we can get this thing going. I would really like to go, and even though I will be road tripping down to Rubicon(I've never been there), I think it would be TONS of fun.

So who wants to go? Thunderhorse, still wanna be our fearless leader? :)

Mat

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes!

I'm game.

I think Ji also wants to go in July.

I'm trying to make july ! I would like to do the whole trail for once. I've done parts of the trail at different times .If my wife comes we won't be sarting at LoonLake.If that's the case I'll meet the group on the trail.

Mat R
That's great my july dates are set in stone 21st- 24th, can't change them. If these date are good for anyone else let me know, we'll see what we can work out.
jerry

I'm pretty sure those dates are great for me... in fact, ROAD TRIP! I'm gonna grab some friends and we're on our way. Lets add this baby to the calendar and see who else we can get to go.

Mat

-I'm so excited!

I am going to throw my name into the hat tentatively as well! Those dates fall into my vacation time. Even though we have a cabin in Tahoe, I've never done Rubicon. If I can keep my engine together long enough...
Rick

Ok, dates are July 21st-24th can work a day in on either end, so of those what start date do we need/want? We could meet in Placerville on Firday spend the night and hit the trail on Saturday, or move ahead one day meet Thuresday and on the trail Friday. And how many days on the trail, last time we took 3 days was a nice slow pace, and got lots of pics. we were planning on the same this time around.
As for "Fearless leader" not real sure about that as I have only been over the trail once, but we did fine our way through, sssoooo why not.
Any input here guys???????
jerry

Pretty much any variation on the dates is cool with me. Mapquest quoted the drive to Placerville from Redmond, WA as 14 hours, which I should be able to make in a day and a half easy.

By the time July rolls around I should have my 5.5" lift installed along with my heim joint radius arms, and prerunner bumper...

Mat

Mat R
Just talk to my son, and, we'll be driving up on thursday the 20th to be on the trail friday mornning. I will be making reservations at the Gold Country Inn for thursday night and sunday night (need some sleep, in a real bed befor the drive home), their phone # is 530 622 3124
So I guess the dates are set on the trail July 21st - 23rd, let me know if if that works for you, then i'll make my reservations.
jerry

oh!

Heck, I can make that.

Ok, friday morning, hit trail, done sunday night?

It's only about 3 hrs from here. (here = oakland, ca)

If anyone is desperate for a spot, I can offer up the futon sofa for a night.

tdavis
OK we'll look for you, do you want to meet in Placerville Friday mornning, then off to the trail head at Loon Lake?
jerry

Yes.

:)

MatR/ExplorGM/Ji
Is this time table ok for you also, and do you want to meet in Placerville on friday mornning.
jerry

Sounds good to me. I figure I'll leave Washington Wednesday, and get to Placerville thursday night.

So obviously we are planning on camping on the trail friday and saterday night, but would it be possible to leave on sunday morning or are we going to be trail locked at that point? I mean I'll wait and see, but I may need to leave then so I have enough time to get home, so are there accessible roads or is it pretty much an all day thing?

I'm getting pretty hyped. I just got my manual hubs today... everything is coming along nicely.

Mat

My employers changed my vacation plans for me.:( I'll only get a short visit to the Bay Area, and then back to SD and the desert. Sorry Guys! This makes the Flagstaff trip crucial for my peace of mind and well being.
Rick

ExplorGM
Sorry to hear about your vacation changes,those empolyers have a nasty habbit of doing things like that. Well maybe we'll see you at Truck Haven in Jan 01.

Mat R
Once on the trail there are only 2 ways out, back the way you came in or out at the end. the second nights camp could be made further along the trail to make the sunday lag shorter then you could be off the trail be for noon. The trail ends a Lake Tahoe, it's only a mile or so from the top of Cadillac Hill to the Tahoe fire roads then quick run to the highway.
jerry

Hey explorGM, give me a call if you have time - I'll buy you drink!

Hmmm... Well I'm taking the days off, and I'm raring to go!

Now all I need to do is finish up my prerunner bumper and 5.5" lift and I'm good to go!

Mat

Ok Mat R & tdavis
We'll be looking for you in plaserville, on the 20th. My Explorer is red over silver with a 4 1/2" superlift 33/12.5 tires so if you see it then you have found us (hehehe)
Looking forward to the run.
jerry

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thunderhorse,

How are the prices at that Inn you are staying at? If they aren't bad then I will probably make a reservation for thursday night. That'd make it easier to meet up too.

I'll be the Green Explorer with 7.5" of lift and 33s. Not that it will be hard for us to see each other, Lifted Explorers tend to stick out in a crowd...

Mat

Back