Rubicon in July.... | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rubicon in July....

MatR
I got the same reaction from the guys at "4 West here", think I have to only lifted Explorer they have seen, one of them said will that thing do it. I just said has befor, and walked out leaving them wondering. This shoulf be a great trip. 9 more days and I'll be on the road.
jerry

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, I got the fron part of my lift, and the shocks last night, now all I'm waiting for is the rear part, and the brake lines, and I'm ready to go... If all goes well I'll be beginning the installation at this time tomorrow.
Is anyone else going to be trying out new mods in Rubicon..?

Mat

sure..

I'll be trying out a whole new right side axle on the front.

But, I'm also working on get dual shocks in the front, so I can loose that damn sway bar. I actually found someone who isn't afraid of doing it, and won't charge an arm&leg for it! Gasp! Shock! horrors!

:D

7 days. Can't wait!!!!!

On new mods on the Explorer,, but a bunch on the kids J**P, lift, locker(arb), gears(4.56s, tires(bfg/at/ko/33/10.5.
but do we realy care after all it is a J**P hehehe
yep 7 days ;-)))
jerry

Who's bringing the firewood?

Or is somebody going to stop and get firewood?

Would most likly be best if eveyone brought some fire wood, just one of those things you get a the store with about 5 or 6 pieces. What we don't burn we can leave at Rubicon Springs for the j**pers (hehe they're always forgetting something----- like we don't ;-)
jerry

sucks.

Well, the rear part of my lift didn't get in today, so it looks like I won't have it for Rubicon...

Not to worry though, at least I'm running 33s and since I still have 4.5" lift total, I should be able to keep up with you guys, I'll just have to be a littl more careful than I would have been with my 5.5"

I'm thinking I'm going to make front sway bar disconnects this weekend, since I can't do the lift.

I just called and made reservations for Thursday night at the gold country inn.

Mat

bummer.

Sorry to hear that Mat. We'll just keep you in the middle then. :D

Ok, my current game plan is to drive up thursday afternoon from the bay area (hopefully, avoiding the rush hour...), and getting a camping spot at loon lake.

Ji lives in Sacro, and I'll call him this weekend to see if he is still on (last time I talked to him, he was ready to go!)

I may change the loon lake plan - I have a possible passenger, and I need to verify with him this weekend also about it.

What CB channel are we going use?

Also, no Blazers are allowed on the trail; the Forest Service has this thing about fires.. :D

You can also camp at the Icehouse its on the way to Loon Lake.
CB we are useualy on channel 1
ham 14655

sorry to hear about the lift have to wait till Truck Haven to see it.
jerry

I'm leaving from here(washington) Wednesday afternoon. Chad, and I should make it to Portland that night, and then we'll spend Thursday driving from Portland to Placerville. As far as meeting, I'm figuring on meeting Jerry in the hotel parking lot early friday morning....

A cool little side note, I bought a nice digital camera last week, and I'll have a laptop along, so at the end of the day, we'll be able to look at all the cool pictures.

I'm getting so pumped!

Mat

Alright Mat
I'll see you in Plascerville, all i'll have is a SLR with a 200 zoom so we should get some great pics out ot this run.

Anyone have a start time they want to meet on at the trail head? If it's just Mat and us (jerry& son) coming up form Plascerville, we can start almost any time Friday.
jerry

Alrighty, I've talked to Ji, he's in. He's had some phone line problems the past few days, and doesn't have time to post here.

I'll be coming up from Oakland, leaving here around 1pm in the afternoon. I should be in the area by 4, missing all of the rush hour traffic.

I'll be calling Ji wednesday night, to find out what schedule he has. I may modifiy mine slightly, to pick him up.

I also will be carrying my Kodak DC280, and my laptop to squirt off the pic's. It's got a capacity of 260 pics in "low res" (which is still huge pics), and like 60 some pics in "high" res (which are just huge pics!) So, yea, we should have plenty of pics of things, right? :D

Jerry - What time are you leaving for/getting to placerville? I'll probably be stopping there, to at least fuel up, and get *lots* of ice. What time are you thinking about dinner on thursday? And where at? It will be really easy for me to get to that.

Let me know, since me and Ji have the easiest trip of everyone (I have to be careful about saying that.. )

Tdavis
Not real sure what time we'll be leaving here socal but hope to be on the read by not later than 7:30 a.m. That should put us in Placerville by about 5:00 p.m. So dinner may just work out great, there is a mexican place in "down town" Plascerville that has very good food, just wish I could remember the name. If we meet at the Gold Country Inn, Mat should be there by then and we could all go to dinner at that time.
jerry

Hi Guys, I found a pretty good book on the Rubicon trail in 4x4books.com. The name is 4 wheelers guide to the Rubicon trail, authur is William C. Teie. They deliver in 1-2 days. Maybe you can still get it. Boy am I salivating just thinking about you guys on the con. Have a great time and a safe trip. The eyes of explorer land are upon you. Leave some hidden stuff so when our group goes we can do a treasure hunt.
Go get em
Tom

FAKRWEE
Hummmm,, We'll have to think on that treasure hunt, would want to leave something that would bio-degrade, the rangers mite take exception to us leaving just any old thing.
But it's a great idea. We could type out a sort of map here in Ultimate Explorations, be interesting to see just how while, we can give, and/or take, directions. I think the beat place to leave anything would be Buck Island Lake, as the dam is a very good reference point. Now just what to leave??????? Any ideas??
jerry

Money would be great, large bills would be preferable, that way you don't have to leave as many. Just a thought. He-He

Maybe it could be just a map to take us from point A to point B. Sort of an experiment like you mentioned to see how well you give instructions and how well we follow them.
I don't think the forest Rangers would have any problems with that. You can write them on bio-degradable toilet tissue used in camping.
You guys must be pumped up,
Tom

Pumped? That's an understatement! I hope I get some sleep before thursday!

only 3 working days left, and I'm a packing and driving!

TomF - how about directions to the nearest cat house? :D :D Large bills? Largest bill I plan to carry is going to be twenty. :D :D

We will have to think about what to leave and where to leave it - instructions in the form of riddles will be used. :D

I have been looking at pictures of Rubicon on the internet, and my buddy Chad, and I are so freakin' excited! I've been doing all those "little things" to get my truck prepped, like making sure I have all my tools, getting a 33x9.5 spare and mounting it on the roof, trying(and when I say trying I don't mean successfully) to get my homemade swaybar disconnects to work, getting my oil changed....

I still can't believe that in only 4 days, 14 hours, and 3 minutes I will be four bying Rubicon.

Mat

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Jerry - I haven't talked to Ji yet - but I can be at the Inn about 6pm, and we can wait for around for a little while for Mat. I can look back in the posts - but what's the inn name again? I'll just look it up online for directions & such.

I'll be wanting to head up and out about 8/9pm, to find a campsite on icehouse road (I know of a few spots..)

Truck goes in tomorrow for the replacement axle, and I'll get it back wednesday afternoon.

Can't wait.

Back