Rubicon in July.... | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rubicon in July....

MatR
Yea they do, do that don't they lol I seem to get alot of looks going down the freeways. Really got some on tuesday my right front wheel barings exploaded, tire locked up, smoke everywhere.
I think the rooms were 58 dollars for a double and 50 for single.
jerry

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can still count me in Jerry! Just been to busy lately to reply.See you all in July ! What's up with the rest of the Explorers out there? No one want's to do the Rubicon Oh I almost forgot the Heep's are going to be thick! Let'make a good show.

[Edited by Ji on 06-16-2000 at 08:25 PM]

Ji
Ok good to know that there will be one more Explorer out to show the J**ps just how to take the rocks, and take them with up to 4 passengers. hehehe As you have read we'll be on the trail on Friday mornning. We are planning to meet in placerville Thuresday night or Friday mornning, we'll have to set a time and place on Friday, how about the Gold Country Inn, it's on broadway about the middle of town, at about 8:eek:o am, there is also a nice place for breakfast up the street with very good food.
jerry

Placerville it is!It's only an hour drive for me :)The Boss ok'd the time off:)Where on the trail are we going to camp ? Are we going to make spider lake the spot? Just trying to get an idea how fast we're going to go.
Tom and I are going up that way next weekend .SEE YA IN JULY :)

i can get time off for the trip! just wonderin tom? ya got room for me to ride with ya ( the four wheel paw will be stayin home) i,d like to check out the area before i attempt with my ride. from what i hear and have seen, the trail would love to get ahold of my undercarrige and and rearange my drive line and some other valuble parts. so i would rather go first just to see how bad it is. let me know

Ji
Yes Spaider lake on friday night and somewhere around Buckisland lake on saturday. We don't plan on breaking any speed records just a nice run through the rocks. (LOL)

baexploder
If you can get up there you are welcome to ride along with us, I'll have one other with me.
jerry

No problemo ba - we don't want to rip the bottom out of your lowrider er, stock truck now do we?

well tom,ya know when i lowered my exploder i put 12 batteries and hydralics, so i can raise my truck for river crossings,i can lower it for low hanging trees and i can hop over most obsticles! but until i mount the switches, and batteries are secured, i wont be doin any three wheel motion any time soon :) lol.thanks i,ll put my notice in tommorrow for the time off. thanks tom and be talkin to ya soon.

Hi Thunderhorse,
It's sounds like you've got a caravan. That's GREAT. Wish I could make it but I'm also tied down by work that week. Have a safe and great trip, let me know the conditions of the trail when you get back.

OK
I would like to get a head count as to who will be going on the Rubicon July 21-23. This is just to know if we need to wait on anyone berfor we hit the trail, wouldn't want to leave someone behind.
jerry

Thunderhorse:

I'm in.

Got time off for Thursday, friday, and monday (monday as an 'oh ****!' day.)

Haven't decided on where to meet yet - I'm considering driving up thursday night from Oakland, and staying at loon lake.

Last time I talked to Ji, he was also 'in'. Both trucks you can't miss - both white, mine a navajo 2dr, Ji's a white 4dr. Both lifted 5.5", both with 33" tires.

I have a winch, and I also carry a full size spare, 5 gallons of gas, 6 gallons of water, bottle of antifreeze (good antifreeze, not el-cheapo stuff), shovel, hatchet, BFH (big freaking hammer), 9500lb winch, winch recovery kit (chain, extra cable, gloves, tree saver, snatch block, shackle(s)), tow strap, hi-lift jack, fire extingusher, tool kit, flares, extra gloves (leather and non-leather), tow hooks on all 4 corners (frame attached!), handheld CB that converts, and lots of hand towels. Somehow in the truck, I still have room for me and a passenger! :)

Only thing I don't have - yet - is a first aid kit (I'll be getting that before the Rubicon)

I'm also planning on bring bug spray, both area, spray on the body, and citronela candles. It looks like mesquito season has opened up when we was there..

I also bring two lawn chairs - seating is a premium at the campsites. :D

Anything else we might need?

I can't wait to do this trail!

Tdavis
Good to hear, sounds like you are very well set up, maybe we found a trail leader and should all fallow you. LOL Yea this time of year the noseeums are out by the millions, need lots of repelent.
The kid (son) and I are still putting the last touches on his J**P thingy to get him ready. think the only thing we won't have is a winch.
We'll try to be at Loon Lake by no later that 9:00 that gives us a little time to wait in Placerville if someone is late.
jerry

Well, I'm in.

As for a meeting place, I'm planning on staying at the same Inn Thunderhorse is. Something tells me we won't have trouble finding each others vehicles parked in the hotel lot. I figured I'd just follow the lead come Friday morning.

As for my truck, I'm running 2.5" suspension and 2" body with 33s right now, and I'm buying a 6" suspension lift tomorrow to replace the 2.5". I'm really really hoping I'll be able to install it before Rubicon, but with only two weekends left before the trip, I don't know if I'll have enough time.

Mat

Everyone, please make sure you have front & rear tow points. Last thing we want to do is rip a bumper off..

thunderhorse - I don't mind being the trail leader.. I just don't know the route.

mat - good luck in getting your lift in time. It took almost 5 weeks for mine to show up. They also only ship it ground, and that takes 5-10 working days.

[Edited by tdavis on 07-03-2000 at 11:58 PM]

MAT
That gives us three Explorers and one j**p. We'll look for you at the motel/inn on thursday.yea i don't think we'll be to hard to spot. Did you get the spring over or new springs to lift the back? Thats the one thing i did wrong whit mine, I went with new springs and kept them under the axle, I'll have to change that in time.

Tdavis
Doesn't really matter who leads, at some point or other we will probably all be the leader. I've got the tow points, front and rear, and a high-lift jack. Am adding to the get-back box with every trip.

If you have time, and are in Placerville, maybe we could all meet for dinner on Thursday night.
jerry

Thats funny about the tow hooks, I just finally installed my rear ones yesterday because last time I went four bying and got stuck, I bent a small part of my fram getting pulled out...oops :)

I'm going with the spring over in the rear, which is the main reason I'm doing the lift anyway, so I can get the springs, and shock mounts out of the way. If I do get it installed, I'll only have drop down brackets for my radius arms since, I haven't had time to weld my own just yet, but it should still work well.

As far as dinner on Thursday, I may have to wait and see, becuase I don't know how late I'll be rolling in that night.

Mat

can't wait..

Less than two weeks togo!

Yea!

Can't wait!

hahaha
Yea!!!!
Just took the kids J**P out for a little test run, had to check out the lift, arb, tires,and all. The Explore had no problems, and we only lost one nut (swaybar disdconnect) on the j**p. So only one week+ left and it looks like we are UP and ready to go.
jerry

grrrr...

So I decided to also take my truck out for some playing (down to Hollister, to play in the obstacle course).

My passenger side front u-joint blew out the moment I put the truck into 4x4! I'm hoping it just the joint, and not the knuckles.. A pic of the blown joint:

ujoint.jpg

Sheez! Now to get it fixed this week.. At least it didn't do it on the Rubicon. Makes a gawd awful noise when that drive shaft is laying in the IFS arm..

[Edited by tdavis on 07-09-2000 at 07:17 PM]

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Heh, good job... I'm figuring there isn't to much that can wrong on my truck in rubicon... my rear U-joint is brand new, and I just got manual hubs... I figure if I'm going to have any trouble it'll be with flex, if I can't install the 5.5" lift next weekend.

Man, I am getting so hyped up! I'm going to Rubicon! You should of seen the look on the faces of the guys at the local four by shop when I told them I was going to be at Rubicon with a bunch of other Explorers running 33s! First they kind of grinned, then they realized that I'll be in Rubicon and they won't!

Mat

Back