seafoam, Does it work? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

seafoam, Does it work?

Wow 800k, I have a little over 125k and mine drives perfect. I got it with a blown trans about a yr ago. That and some maintenance is all that was needed. When I got mine it had a bad idle and would die often about 2-3 times a day. My friend works for ford and told me it was common to have the intake leak but to try some injector cleaner first. After about 2 tanks the truck ran great, didn't die anymore. I used Lucas injector cleaner, looking back I would have used Seafoam. I have used it before running a little through the PCV and a little in the tank. Works good but I'd be nervous to do it at that mileage. Maybe a little at a time in the tank progressively until it cleans up.

its not photoshopped. its just how it is.. even the right side of the speedometer numbers are whiter than the left side.. 10-50 mph or so vs. 80-120 mph
i swear its the same engine and tranny. neither has been replaced or overhauled.. the transmission had some work done on it around 500k it cost me $500...
and the obvious water pump, radiator, alt, a/c work, brake work, 2 windshields, one back glass (broken in to), like 6 sets of bearings, idk if its just how the explorer is but they practically eat bearings.

Well if it is the truth then I am absolutely amazed. You never had cam chain issues with the SOHC? And the transmission in your Explorer has a reputations for being made with rubber bands. I'm impressed.

i dont think its that hard to believe.. as long as im on the highway im doing either 55-60 @ ~2k rpms .
like i said before most of my miles are on the highway. in addition. the best thing i ever did was install an oil bypass filter for BOTH engine and tranny.
even if you dont drive your truck like i do its still a good idea it will last longer i promise.
truckers will swear by it till they're blue in the face. i dont change every 3k like they say. i would be in there twice a month. so instead i do it myself every other month with delo 5W 50 and a prolong engine and tranny treatment every other oil change.
http://www.prolong.com/auto_main.html

also get yourself a good oil cooler and trans cooler. ditch the stock one. when i first got my x i had it hooked up to a chip tuner thing to read variables and temps.. the tranny was getting up to 160 around town and 140 on highway. Idk about you but i like my tranny cool. high oil temps will break down oil faster. most of the time you dont need a oil change because the oil breaks down.. you see how dirty it is when you pull the plug? thats why you change it. you dont send off a oil sample to get analyzed.. dirt and tiny particulates will create more friction in all the places you dont want them to be.
the little tiny "oil filter" cars use today are a joke. auto makers know about the advantages of a bypass oil filter because they help vehicles last longer. we and they all know thats "bad" for the auto industry. bottom line, oil actually takes a long time to break down.
I had a friend that did the same kinda stuff to his Subaru and had it all the way up to 700k before it got totaled might i add with NO tranny or engine problems. so their might be some truth to the tale of foreign cars lasting a little longer.

Its not as far fetched as you guys are putting out there to be. in fact i think the true life expectancy for a car is truly around 600k with the above mentioned stuff and not wreaking of course (R.I.P. Subaru)
with that said..
i would recommend filtration systems world wide. http://filtrationsolutionsww.com
or for more $ amsoil
http://www.amsoil.com/Storefront/bf.aspx
good luck!

Back