Tired Leaf Springs | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tired Leaf Springs

Maybe a coil over shock with different shackles, and less leaves.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't think I can handle the price of coilovers for the rear. I think coil springs, stock leaf springs and my current shocks would be more cost effective.

The question is, what spring rate and height coils?? It will be expensive to experiment unless I can find some free coils to play with. And what would I use for coil seats?

Ok, what if I got air bags, connected them to a single air source, so as one bag deflates, the air would be forced into the other. You know, for flex. Otherwise the bag on one side would oppose the other, lifting a tire sooner.

...do you think these might work for you??? they are going for cheap and they are mine and you can thank a local mod for pointing me to you...:D

coiloversdp8.jpg

I actually had some of those before I lifted my truck. Mine got me .5" of lift with no noticeable change in ride, but the travel is too short for good flex offroad. My Rancho shocks are extended length for extra travel.

The air springs isn't too bad of an idea. Kits are around $200 including brackets and everything. Since I won't need a lower bracket because I have my spring perch, all I really need is some way to mount the upper, and a base plate. Lines of course, too. I just wonder if they would be stiff aired up enough to lift the rear a little?

My thought was that the shocks are taking up the only good space to locate any coil springs.

Space there is a premium. Air bags are strong enough for lifting, how much is a question. But the space up to the body is tight there isn't it? That's a good idea if the side to side movement can be limited to keep the air bags in their area.

Ok, a little more research and this excites me. I can get air springs at different ride heights, so all I have to do is measure the distance between my frame and perch, add a few inches. Make sure it will fit compressed, make a little bracket type thing for the top and boom, instant lift without a harsh ride. A single air inlet valve and a T fitting will take care of the inflation. Once I get the setting right, it won't have to be changed. Just have to wait for some spare cash.

I talked to Jon for a bit about this, and I've got it. I wouldn't need an overload, and probably only two leafs, the main and the next longest one or the shorter leaf, just enough to center the axle and prevent spring wrap. Properly sized air springs would take care of the rest of the suspension, and it would be ultra flexy. As one bag was compressed, the other would be expanding in most situations with it plumbed properly. That would provide height without stiffness, load capacity and flex all in one. Later down the road a triangulated trailing arm setup could be made for an extra dose of coolness. :cool: All of it can be done with minimal fab work and under $200.

Ok, I looked into the air springs, emailed the vendor. I have a possible problem: The air spring only has 4" of usable travel from 6.25" fully compressed to 10.25" fully extended. I was told the air spring could rip if hyper extended. So, I have to decide if limited travel is OK, (probably not) or figure out if I can make some kind of rod for the air spring to slide down on when at full droop. Suggestions? Or is lift springs the only option?

Well, couldn't you just take the air springs off for wheeling? Make some quick discos some how to easily pull them out?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah, but they would give me the height I need off road. I wanted to use just one or two leaf springs, then air bags. If I removed the bags, then I wouldn't have the height I need. Its a catch 22, more flex, better ride, but could rip air bags.

Back