Trailmaster '98-'00 update... | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trailmaster '98-'00 update...

Tires?

I know this is probly kinda a lame question but when this lift comes out what size tires would best fit? 31x10.5 or 33x10.5?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ANTI-SWAY BARS ON 4" LIFT

DOES ANY ONE KNOW IF THE LIFT COMES WITH A NEW ANTI-SWAY BAR OR JUST A LONGER LINKAGE?

I ALSO HEARD THAT THE LIFT COMES WITH 4 SHOCKS AND 1 "OTHER". IS THIS LAST ONE A STEERING STABILIZER?

DOES IT COME WITH A SKID PLATE?

Hi tomfrojr,
The Trailmaster truck had 295/75-17's which is almost 35". I'm trying for 35's when the darn thing becomes available.

I thought the trailmaster had 295/75-16s.Tire diameter for 295/75-16 is 33.5"
I couldnt find any BFGs that were 295/75-17.
-Bryan

hmm?

I was looking at tires yesterday to see what I want to put on and was unsure of the size? So you say it may be possible to put 35" that is plentu cool with me but what about articulation and full stuff (into the wheel wells). When it comes out and I have the money I am kinda thinking about going with 33/10.5-15 Goodyear Wrangler rt/s I think that is the tires hehe. I want to be able to have good movemet of my suspension through full range. does trailmaster have a web page I have poked and prodded and come up negative. any clues? also what is their number so that I may give them a call and bugg them some more to get this lift out so that I can get it on!!! hehe my money is burning a hole in my pocket with my system and all hehe!!

Keep in mind that whatever tire size they were running that the tire was too big for the lift (without other mods). They had the sway bars connected and the front tire would still rub at rear of the fender (by the front door). This means that if you want to do some serious off-roading you will need to go at least 1 tire size lower than they did and/or modify your front fender to allow it to fit. I don't think the tire was a 35" equivelent(sp?).. I think it was a 33" equiv tire..

here are two pictures of it flexing as far as it would go (with sway bars attached)

small-trailmaster-tire1.jpg

small-trailmaster-tire2.jpg

[Edited by Maniak on 07-20-2000 at 09:04 AM]

35's

Ray Lobato and I both are hoping for 35's with the lift. HOWEVER.... we will also have 1" body lift and keep the 1.5"+ torsion/shackle lift for 6.5"+ total lift.

But the problem is not vertical clearance. It's the horizontal clearance front-to-back at the front fenderwells.

I already have 33's and can tell you that the lift will only help fit 35"s insofar as it lifts the body that much further up before the back of the front tires hit the back of the fenderwell. My 33's rub it now under full compression. I absolutely guarantee you that any of us interested in getting 35's under there will have to mercilessly cut out all of the interior fenderwell trim behind our front tires to get them on.

Hi Greengoose,
According to 4Lo.com the 295/75-R17 comes out to 34.4", which is closer to a 35" tire than a 33" tire. I also know that I will have to do some trimming on the fenders and are willing to do that.

Hey Ray, he said Trailmaster had 295/75-R16, not 17, and 4lo.com says that the 295/75-R16 are 33.4, and the 295/75-R17 are 34.4. Just giving the problem a little clarification.

Tomfrojr,
I don't think Trailmaster has a web site. The Telephone # is (800) 832-4847 or (517) 278-4011.

Alan
98 Xplorer

Hi Rock,
The Trailmaster truck had 295/75-R17's, Not R16's.

Guys, don't fear the sawzall, the sawzall is your friend.

The sawzall is my friend. The sawzall is my friend. The sawzall is my friend. :eek:

hehe

hehe sawsall!

Here is my Sawzall
Here is my Gun
One is for trimming
One is for fun

:)

The sawzall is sooo much fun once you start using it. You really have to be carefull though. I had to tell myself to stop otherwise I would take out to much at once. :) Thats when I got the grinder out cause its slower going on one of those. :D

As far as fitting tires just do it! :) If they rub they rub! Thats when you know you need to cut something. Or you let the tire tear the pee out of it. On the moab pre-run my right front tire got stuffed up in far enough that it ripped the lower inner fenderwell stuff up and made a lovely noise the rest of the time. So what did I do? I cut out everything I could in there that was making the racket!

Hey Rick,
Any news yet?

I'll try to contact him tomorrow (Tuesday).

Rick

WELL????

Anything????

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How about it. Anything yet?

Back