Trailmaster '98-'00 update... | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trailmaster '98-'00 update...

Ray, if this stretches out I may go ahead with the crazy idea I told you about. I have emailed the CV joint guy and am waiting on a reply. Circular motion or not I think it can work, though maybe wear the tread a little faster. Big deal.

I've got time to be a little patient since I will not have time to do either lift before Colorado anyway. I had wished it would be otherwise. That will take some time pressure off and give me until Truckhaven to worry about.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, If this guy doesn't do anything by next week, I'll go get a Ranger kit. I'm just tired of "it will be out shortly". :mad:

The time is ticken heh

Time is ticking away and still no lift =( oh well that is ok I suppose gives me some time to save up! I figure if and when the lift comes out I will have to buy new tires and rims possibly to make it look good. If the kit is 3k I will need atleast another 2k for the tires and rims. I plan on running 33" or 34" Goodyear Wrangler rt/s with american racing rims. My sterio system is basically done so all I am waiting for is this lift to finish my Explorer sort of hehe. I am looking at this page daily to keep informed. Take care all I will be sending some pics of my system to you and pics of my pre lifted Explorer heh.

Well, I decided not to wait. I ordered a Trailmaster Ranger kit, and will have it installed hopefully within 2 weeks. My Atlas II should also be in before going to the Colorado run. Now all I have to do is find some 4" lifted springs for the rear end. any body know where I can find these?

Gerald,
The body lift parts are over at the machine shop. As soon as I get them back, I'll ship them out to you. :)

Ray, I believe TC did a spring over with the stock springs in conjunction with his Ranger/Superlift kit.

Trailmaster makes a set of 4" lift rear springs for the early Explorer. That's what I had for my first lift. Trouble is they were very stiff compared to the stock springs. Since the OME springs for the late model Explorer fit my truck I see no reason the older springs wouldn't fit yours.

Pictures coming

Ray, Rick, I have bought my new tires and rims. I got American Racing 5x8x15 Pythons with 33x10.5 BFGs. Looks smoking good. I should be able to post them by Friday next wee. Of course including pictures from beneath!!

This is Unconscienciousable

Rick, for the benefit of the newer members, let's revisit the history of this lift's release. Here's the response I sent to Juan in May of this year that I hope assisted him in making his decision to go ahead with his mod.

TRAILMASTER LIFT HISTORY :rolleyes:

Spring '99: promised release by May 99

May 99: email sent to Rick by Trailmaster president promising imminent release by month end

June 99: ??? May came and went, no word

November 99: kit seen installed at SEMA show in Las Vegas: out by Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving 99: out by yearend

12/31/99: ??? no word

January 2000: tested at Truckhaven, out by March 2000

March 2000: out by end of March

End of March 2000: out by April

April 2000: ??? no word

May 2000: out by 8/1/2000
---------------------------------------------------------
Let's now add to this:

Promise of release announcement July 17, 2000; release date July 24, 2000.

We are there now, aren't we? As we were before, and before, and before, and before, etc etc etc.

This umpteenth-dozenth announcement went beyond ethical consideration of any customer. They went beyond their usual nebulous "it'll be released in a month or so" messages they gave you before and instead locked it down with a firm release date and STILL lied to us. I guess they are giggling in their coffee at us every morning with this game.

Though this isn't really your fight as an early-model owner, I implore you to find out once and for all what mind game this is they seem to be enjoying with us, since you are the best contact we have with them.

I am very seriously considering returning my '99 to stock, selling it, and getting an early model. I guaran-damn-tee you the lift I put on it won't be a Trailmaster. And the word-of-mouth they get from me to all my fourwheeling friends driving other makes will NOT be positive.

If they cannot build one that works, fine. But to leave several hundred potential customers dangling in suspense for grins while dangling a carrot in front of them is just plain sick. Trailmaster should have been able to provide what they said, or never promised it. If they are just playing with us and enjoying this game, then they do not need anyone's business; either ours or anyone else's either.

It's been over a year and a season now. I want to know WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON. :fire:

PERIOD.

If they are incapable of making the darn thing, if there's a problem with safety issues applying their mod to our vehicles or whatever it is; then they need to let us know and quit teasing us with release dates.
:shoot:
Now. Today.

PS / as I enter this, this thread has had 86 direct replies and 2,469 views by interested parties. I refuse to believe that we are a lesser market that the single-year '98 Ranger owners that Trailmaster produced a lift for long ago. There is something else going on here and no one is talking. I wonder what it is?

[Edited by GJarrett on 08-10-2000 at 06:48 PM]

Gerald, I agree 100%. I am personally tired of sticking my neck out releasing BS information. Since I was speaking directly to the President of the company I felt that the information I was getting was reliable. I am tired of asking him for information, being schmoozed, and then dropped like a warm beer. I guess the President of Trailmaster is taking lessons from the President of our country.

Harsh, but true. What bugs me the most is that he NEVER returns phone calls after one of his "vapor" release dates. He just lets us all dangle in the wind. Believe me I have left messages with his seceratary and on his voice mail. The guy just doesn't give a damn about us.

Even if they do eventually release a kit what does this type of behaviour show his customer base? If I was in your shoes I wouldn't buy an older truck I would do what Jaun did and have a custom job done. Screw Trailmaster and Superlift. They have neglected the LARGEST SUV market in America.

Well, what has me worried is the important stuff.

Like lives.

Juan has already done his mod and now Ray is tired of waiting too. Both of them have forged onward, to bring reality to a lift for late models. If there were no problems before this, Trailmaster would have been like any other profit-oriented company and released the kit to us to make a profit for them. But that is not what happened.

This kit was originally going to be released over a year ago, and several of us have seen it in action. Our potential market is far beyond Trialmaster's other releases.

They've had board meetings monthly this past year. I'll bet a TJ they discussed this lift kit several times and shot it down. But they won't tell us why.

why?

If I had the money I would produce a lift for the late model Explorers that would absolutely kick ass. I have all the ideas and the connections to get it made plus I have friends who could point me in the right direction as far as marketing and selling it. I just don't have the money or a prototype to work on and my time seems to be at a premium right now too. Too bad because I have some IDEAS.

Paul, maybe you can contact one of the guys that was in Truck Heaven. He has a machine shop and made his own lift. Rick knows who I'm talking about. His name is Jose, he had the white older model Explorer. This may be able to get your prototype made and then try to find some cash. It's easier to find cash with a prototype.

The other option, is like Rick said, just get a custom lift. It is not really that custom, after you look at the Ranger kit from Trailmaster. A lot of the parts are the same. I have been comparing my kit with the pictures from Trailmaster's orange Explorer, and all the parts look identical.

To be candid, I am willing to say that Trailmaster just fitted a Ranger kit on their Explorer, just to be ablke to say they have one for us.

I really don't know what game they are playing, it just doesn't make sense.

I sent an email to Jim (president of Trailmaster) this afternoon, quoting Geralds post, trying to show him the level of dissatisfaction around here. We'll see if he has the balls to respond.

PS Gerald, I love my truck!!!
Ha, I'm sorry, but just had to trow more wood in the fire.

The problem is that they have moved from Michigan to California. It has not been a smooth transition by any means. The reason for the delay is that this hasn't been a high priority to them, they are still selling lift kits which have been released, a new release was just extra trouble.

I know you will say, so they moved, big deal. But that's all they talk about, them AND their distributors.

The only thing they found "wrong" with their kit was that some Explorers require a new front driveshaft after the lift and others don't. This had more to do with production tolerances on the Explorer and whether or not the Explorer is a 4 door or a Sport than with the lift kit itself.

That is true, about the drive shaft. I just got a brand new one put on yesterday. Be prepared to spend about $400.

If at this point dealers know about the kit, I would say it is a good bet that it is really coming out. Give them a few more weeks.

Well, they are a day late for me. :mad:

Ray,
Did you receive the Ranger kit??

Juan,
It's over at the shop that's gonna put it in as soon as I get the truck out of the tranny shop. :( If the tranny hadn't gone out, it would have been at the 4X4 shop Tuesday getting lifted. I live in a small town and with only 1 tranny shop and 1 Ford dealer. The ford dealer took a week and a half to fix my cam tensioner so when the tranny went out, for the 2nd time, I thought I would take it to someplace else other than the Ford dealer. Hell this place makes the Ford dealer look fast. :(

[Edited by Ray Lobato on 08-10-2000 at 10:25 PM]

Ray, how is the tranny situation going?

Good luck then, make sure to post some pictures!!

Wow that is expensive!

Originally posted by felsmann
That is true, about the drive shaft. I just got a brand new one put on yesterday. Be prepared to spend about $400.

If at this point dealers know about the kit, I would say it is a good bet that it is really coming out. Give them a few more weeks.

I got a quote from one of the local driveline shops of $250-$275 (depending on length) to lengthen and balance my driveshaft and put in three new u-joints and repair the double cardan joint. If I was to do everything except the lengthening it would be $113.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rick,
They haven't even looked at it yet so I don't know what's wrong with it yet.
The 4x4 shop is ready to rock and roll, but no truck yet. :mad: The transfercase will be at the shop on Wed.
I got everything lined up and ready to go, now my damn truck looses the tranny again and I can't get anyone to fix it right away. :banghead:

Back