• Register Today It's free!

Need brakelight/turn signal help

champsin97

Reaction score
City, State
huntsville
Year, Model & Trim Level
01' Explorer sport
Just bought an 01' Explorer Sport. There are two problems I need to fix.

Let me start off by saying that I replaced both the back light bulbs and the front right bulb.

1. Turn signal problem: The left turn signal light works in the front and in the dash but does not work in the rear. It does, however, blink really fast. The right turn signal works in the rear, does NOT work in the front and it does NOT illuminate in the dash. You can hear the blinking sound and it is really fast. When you turn on the emergency flashers the right front and left rear DONT blink as expected.

2. Brake light problem: Neither brake lights work. The top brake lamp on the rear door does work though. As I said, there are new bulbs in. Not sure which fuses are for the brake lights.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just bought an 01' Explorer Sport. There are two problems I need to fix.

Let me start off by saying that I replaced both the back light bulbs and the front right bulb.

1. Turn signal problem: The left turn signal light works in the front and in the dash but does not work in the rear. It does, however, blink really fast. The right turn signal works in the rear, does NOT work in the front and it does NOT illuminate in the dash. You can hear the blinking sound and it is really fast. When you turn on the emergency flashers the right front and left rear DONT blink as expected.

2. Brake light problem: Neither brake lights work. The top brake lamp on the rear door does work though. As I said, there are new bulbs in. Not sure which fuses are for the brake lights.

check wiring (look at connectors), is there a trailer hitch connector thing on there? - could be at fault if it's not wired properly.

Update

O.K. , I put the steering wheel all the way up. Brake lights now work. Left rear turn signal is now working although it is still blinking too fast. Right rear is now blinking at a normal rate. All lights EXCEPT the right front flash at a normal rate when the emergency flasher is engauged. Right front turn signal still doesn't work.

Loose wiring in the plug for the multifunction switch in the column is a common problem with Explorers as well as other Ford trucks. Remove the covers on the column and examine the wiring. I think you'll find your problem there.

TxPlates had the same problem...

I took my steering column apart and there is a gray connector on the drivers side of the column. My wires had come out of it so u just shoved them back in. On some the actual connector will be broken, it's like $5 at ford to replace it.

Back