Colorado might be the best state ever... | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Colorado might be the best state ever...

OK well it sounds like there are at least 2-4 trucks from the rmftc.com board that would be down for running slaughterhouse on the 13th. A bunch of them did slaughter. the same weekend that some of us were in Moab with EF (this board). Since it seems to be on the easier side of a moderate trail... having several vehicles to run it shouldn't be too bad of a thing.

:D :D :D

*Hokie just got back from Tour de Fat and is "slightly" inebriated*

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can't even read what you just said...Would the brew's have something to do with that? lol jk

:D :D :D

*Hokie just got back from Tour de Fat and is "slightly" inebriated*

You call yourself Hokie?? Who refers to themself in the 3rd person?? Are you the Rock? LOL :D :D

How about this one, from my boring existence; * Douglas just put in a load of laundry.

:p: :D

I'll be stoked to wheel with some of you for this one... now I need to see if any rovers want to do it with us.

You call yourself Hokie?? Who refers to themself in the 3rd person?? Are you the Rock? LOL :D :D

See the part about inebriation?

becker69; said:
I'll be stoked to wheel with some of you for this one... now I need to see if any rovers want to do it with us.

So we're a go for Slaughterhouse Gulch on Saturday, Oct 13th?

Yeah, so far it looks like whoever off this thread, a buddy with his RR, another guy with his jeep, and at least 2 rangers and/or an Explorer off the RMFTC.com board. Tenatively anyways. I'll be there on the 13th.... I'll figure out a meet spot, the last time I went we met up in Conifer I think. I'll get it figured, we can meet up at the Safeway or Sonic up there.

Yeah, so far it looks like whoever off this thread, a buddy with his RR, another guy with his jeep, and at least 2 rangers and/or an Explorer off the RMFTC.com board. Tenatively anyways. I'll be there on the 13th.... I'll figure out a meet spot, the last time I went we met up in Conifer I think. I'll get it figured, we can meet up at the Safeway or Sonic up there.

Sweet! We could also meet where you and I met for Labor Day.

Went mtn biking today and then realized that I was close to some of the wheelin' around FoCo. Decided I didn't want to try a moderate trail by myself on a Sunday afternoon/early evening so I ran Old Flowers Road. Its an Easy in Well's book yet its a 3-4 on TrailDamage.com. Tell ya what though, in today's rain, it was surprisingly slick and greasy.

I even used 4LOW :)

The aspens are just starting to turn there (7300' - 8500'), Slaughterhouse Gulch is going to be BEAUTIFUL in three weeks!

There was even a rainbow on the way back :cool: Oh and I saw two Mule Deer with good sized racks... couldn't get the camera out quick enough though

Jenni, you would've enjoyed running Old Flowers Rd today. Your truck could handle this no problem.

Attachments

• truck in aspens on hill.JPG
    truck in aspens on hill.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 135
  • truck in aspens.JPG
    truck in aspens.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 132
  • roof in aspens.JPG
    roof in aspens.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 138
  • rainbow.JPG
    rainbow.JPG
    15.4 KB · Views: 142

Cool.

I might just have to wear my Packers #4 Favre jersey. :p: ;)

Emily's getting nervous. She's been asking what I have planned for when she comes out to visit. (She doesn't know we're going wheelin')

Today I told her to pack a warm coat/fleece, clothes that she doesn't mind getting muddy, sturdy boots and a good sense of adventure :thumbsup:

I got 3 weeks to get some stuff added to the Explorer then...

Hokie- What are you up to this upcoming Wed evening or Sat. like ealry-mid afternoon? If not up to much then, would you mind me coming up to Fort Collins or something and checking out your mounty and just meeting up?

Yeah, I would love to go but the only thing I am worried about is me not being fully setup yet...I do not have any onboard air yet, or a fullsize spare...not sure if those are doable by the 13th but I am sure that I could pick up a strap and some smaller needed items...

Yeah, I would love to go but the only thing I am worried about is me not being fully setup yet...I do not have any onboard air yet, or a fullsize spare...not sure if those are doable by the 13th but I am sure that I could pick up a strap and some smaller needed items...

I've got neither of those in my truck ;)

Make sure you've got a strap, vital vehicle fluids, gloves, basic set of tools (which we'll also have)... if you look at GJarrett's elite registry, he gives a detailed list of things to bring.

Oh and a CB. Thats probably #1

Yeah man, I'm here Wed. Saturday I'm heading up for some late season mtn biking at Breckenridge.

If you need a full size spare for your 33x12.50 I can sell you one cheap!!! I haev 8 ea old 33 MT's

You dont need a strap, I will bring several..you just need a place to attach one (front and rear tow hooks)

CB is a must

Cb is part way installed right now, they sent me the antenna and coax but not the dome mount....
(does anybody have a SWR meter and know how to properly tune a CB...?

What kind of spots to attach straps work the best for you guys, standard tow hooks, What if I got d-rings and had a eyelet welded to the bottom of my frame in the rear?
I really need to get some tow spots on my car (towed two trucks out today and had to wrap the strap around axle...I was in 2 Wheel drive also cause I took out my front driveshaft and planned on putting in the 4406 finally but other stuff came up, so I can't wait to see what she does in true 4, and 4lo...:D

I have looked at GJarret's list, it is an amazing registry

and hokie just send me a pm with you number and address, I know that you are on the north side of CSU but can't member where, and an time that works... I get out of school tomorrow by 3 so like from 4 on is great for me..

Where and time are we meeting for this run. Sat the 13 right??

Tim

Cb is part way installed right now, they sent me the antenna and coax but not the dome mount....
(does anybody have a SWR meter and know how to properly tune a CB...?

If you can get your antenna hooked up and don't have too much interferance; you should be fine... just do a mic & recv. check with Hokie when you guys meet up before the run :thumbsup:
What kind of spots to attach straps work the best for you guys, standard tow hooks, What if I got d-rings and had a eyelet welded to the bottom of my frame in the rear?
You can pick up a 10-$15 jeep frame mount hook, and drill into your frame and use the bolts they come with to attach it on the front or rear frame rail. I think some have used a crossmember as a last ditch. This way is Weld free, use the bolts if you can. I'd be carefull puting the strap over the rear end tubes, but I honestly don't know... if you have or can source a hitch that is the easiest and most efficient way of saving your bumper and provides for the needed rear tow point. If nothing else you can probably use the hole in your step bumper with a D ring, although I wouldn't count on it to pull with much power or weight.

Where and time are we meeting for this run. Sat the 13 right??

Tim

Brett (Hokie) and I met at a good spot he found to take the 285 West out of Denver at a gas station (Philips, I think) off of the 470 just South of the 285 at the Bowles Avenue exit. (on the East side of the 470). This might be a good place. We can also meet up with people in Conifer if that works better.

There is also a huge Safeway, fuel, Sonic, and Strip mall in Conifer that is on the WEST side of the 285 (thus you exit and it's on the left side... so take the exit overpass left over the 285) that provides a big lot for us to meet at, get snacks, gas, whatever and head out. Leaving there (Conifer area) at ~ 9 - 9:30 we should be able to make good time) -- I'll have to check with the rmftc board guys/gals as well.

410Fortune since you've done this trail a bunch what would you say?

Edit: I guess see the new thread :D

ah brett those pics are pretty! you weren't too hung over i see to hit that up, haha. hit me up next time :)

looks like awesome turnout for this date... man i will see what i can do i'd love to check it out.... my old coworker visiting me in town could use some getting exposed to the outdoors.. hahaha, he's kind of sensitive :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

oooh and you are bringing a lady out?? my friend would have somebody to play with then, he's kind of a lady himself :) love him to death though. more girls should come out to play, we are pretty cool :D

Back