• Register Today It's free!

Help with 883 Body Lift

Parrotthead72

Reaction score
City, State
Hickory, North Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 4wd XLT
I'm currently attempting the 883 3" lift and having trouble removing body mount bolts. The circular plate on the bottom spins when I turn the bolt. I've been PB blasting them several times per week for two weeks, I am using air tools, I've tried the torch, but no success. I have to have this thing ready by Saturday morning to drive to work. Everything else is ready, (brackets, etc.) The front two at the radiator are really going to be the toughest. Any tips, pointers, from anyone who has completed this? BTW, it is an '03 4-door, 4wd XLT. Many thanks in advance!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

on my 01 sport i had the same problem and just to a huge pair of chanel locks and had a friend reverse the bolt while i sqweezed the crap out of it

x2 on the channel lock.

If you have access to the metal part of the body bushing, you can grind two flat parts 180-ish degrees from each other -- this'll help you get a hold of it. I then used an old large C-clamp on the bushing.

thanks for the reply, I tried the channel locks with no luck. Maybe I can try some vise-grip pliers if I can find some big enough.

I had some luck with the channel locks, but a couple I just couldn't get a grip on.
In the end on a couple of them I hauled out the mig welder and attached a small pry bar to the bottom of the mount plate.
got it unbolted, and then ground the welds off.
Doesn't help much without a welder I guess... depends on your situation.

Yeah, i considered borrowing a welder and doing just that. Guess I will tomorrow
AM. What a pain in the butt. Thanks again to everyone for your suggestions.

i used a pair of vice grips and they worked great..

i just had to find a pair that were the right size so the handle would catch on the frame to keep it from spinning

I just priced a pair of 12" vise-grip pliers from Northern Tool, $18.99. Just found out that I can't get/borrow the welder. Hope the v-grips work. Damn, why doesnt someone just make a decent lift kit for our 3rd gen Mounty/Explorers!!!

I just priced a pair of 12" vise-grip pliers from Northern Tool, $18.99. Just found out that I can't get/borrow the welder. Hope the v-grips work. Damn, why doesnt someone just make a decent lift kit for our 3rd gen Mounty/Explorers!!!
Dont worry, the more you work on your vehicle and become familiar with its parts, the more you'll be able to foresee the possible roadblocks of a project. We're all on the same boat here and many others have suffered the same frustration.

you could always opt for roadbully's spacers...

looking back i'd rather have done that then the body lift..
but since i already have it i might be persuaded to just use both:D

look into roadbully's thread if you think you'd be interested

I actually want to do both, (3" Body lift + 3" spacers). Should be the only X around here like it. Most guys/gals around here have Jeep Wranglers.

sounds like a good plan...be sure to put up some pics after you finish your body lift!

I welded a 6" piece of angle iron to the bottom on my 05' Sport Trac, worked quite well. I think they are still on there.

Well, I bought some curved jaw vise grips which worked really well except for the two bushings behind each front seat. Gonna have to find/borrrow a welder for those. So, I had to re-assemble everything and try again next week.

Back