Helpful thread, for squeak, squeal, chirp noise from V8 and OHV v6 engine compartment | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Helpful thread, for squeak, squeal, chirp noise from V8 and OHV v6 engine compartment

i havea 4.0 sohc and it make a noise similar to this. what could it be?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My '95 XLT does that, and I think it's an alternator bearing, maybe PS pump. Very, very hard to isolate. Lasts for up to 10 minutes, then goes away.

Overhead Cam Timing Chain Noise

I Have A 98 Explorer, V6 Sohc With 164,000 Miles On It. It Sounds Like The Chain Is Making Noise. I Took Off The Serpintine (?) Belt ,ran Engine ,crawled Underneath, It Sounds Like The Noise Is Coming From The Front Of The Engine Like The Timing Chain Is Loose. The Noise Is Not Real Loud. How Dependable And Long Lasting Are These Chains, Sprockets Etc?

So I had this chirp noise and I ordered up the part from Rock Auto. I drove the truck there and had him put it in.

2 weeks later and he can't get it to run for some reason. I take out the sync and set the motor to TDC and try to re-install the sync. Keep in mind the tool is broken so I winged it and just used my trusty eyeball to get the position right.

Good news is it starts and runs pretty good actually. Bad news is I have a cam sensor error and a misfire or ignition system error. I was originally getting lean codes bank 1 and 2, but those have not come back

I ordered a new tool but I still don't have it after almost 2 weeks. Car runs great otherwise. I did drive it about 100 miles last week to work and back and it was just as good as always and starts right up.

Is it safe to drive or should I just wait even longer? Suck part is that it is the wife's truck and we are borrowing my fathers mounty in the meantime.

sometimes just changing the cam position sensor itself will work. on my '96 sport 4.0 OHV all i had to do was take off the upper intake manifold and use a flexible shaft with a nutdriver on the end and worked around the lower manifold. check engine light went off after that and no more squeal. ran alot better to. the metal contacts had fallen out and were pretty much wasted.

saludos desde Monterrey, N.L.

que tal señores, primeramente una disculpa por no escribirles en ingles ya que no es mi fuerte... quisiera agradecerles a todos por sus oportunos comentarios respecto a esta falla; efectivamente me empezo a suceder en mi explorer 98 4WD con motor 4.0L EFI, de repente empezó un rechinido de la parte interior del motor el cual creímos que eran botadores; al ver esta página fuí a buscar la pieza en autozone y lo conseguí como Distribuidor del arbol de levas y viene con todo y sensor ($800.00 pesos mexicanos, es a cambio ya que es una pieza reconstruida); para cambiarlo, mi papá y yo tuvimos que remover el cuerpo de admisión (en México le decimos "barco"), lo cual incluia aflojar las tapas de punterias ya que la pieza se encuentra en la parte trasera al centro del motor y el barco estorbaba para removerlo... siguiendo sus consejos, se puso el pistón 1 en punto muerto (se puede confirmar con la posición de una marca del damper del cigüeñal) y al removerlo se comprobó que ese era el causante del desesperante ruido... el distribuidor viene con 2 marcas de pintura, alineándolas junto con la cabeza del sensor se introdujo la pieza nuevamente, logicamente no hubo oportunidad de comprobar si funcionaba, y procedimos a reinstalar todos los componentes.... afortunadamente al dar marcha al motor encendió a la primera y se quitó el ruido... lo unico que me falta ahora es que reseteen los códigos de error de la computadora para que se apague el foco del check engine y así coronar el esfuerzo de mas de 10 horas que nos llevó hacer el cambio de esta pieza... saludos a todos y estoy a sus órdenes para cualquier duda... memo868@gmail.com

hola Dennis... desgraciadamente ese fue mi primer error, no desconecté la batería... espero y que con la reseteada de la computadora ya se apague el indicador de check engine... saludos...

CMP issue too

Got a 99 Explorer 4.0 ('x' eng) and had a recent intermittent chirping issue and now (3 months later) have a P0340 and misfire codes on both banks, but no chirp. Cleared codes and started it and got a pending P0340 and within minutes got the Check Eng light. Research led me to the CMP. With the help of this forum have finally been able to locate the cam position sensor on the engine- can anyone tell me how to get to the two CMP holddown screws that appear to be under the back of the intake manifold? I want to remove as little as possible, but currently cannot fit more than my fingertips down in that area. I plan to replace the sensor without removing the synchro as long as it's not broken and use lithium grease to lube it before putting the new CMP on. any insight or tips would be greatly appreciated!
thanks,
~bobbyz

bobbyz, use a flexible shaft on a screwdriver with a nutdriver on the end, i don't remember what size i used but it was in my craftsman toolbox. take off the upper manifold and reach around the back end, find the bolts, and take them out. line up the new sensor, tighten it down, and reconnect the wires. matt

Camshaft syncronizer

Has anybody noticed a problem with the Dorman product vs the motorcraft besides the price.

Howdy Yawl!

Or rather

G'day fellas. My 96 OHV has developed the squeal. this thread has answered my question. I knew it wasnt the belts or alternator. It was coming from the back area. Was noise really only apparent in cooler weather.

Can anyone show me picture of the part and provide a "how to step by step" on replacement. Where the heck is this part.

By the way, how do you barrak for Obahma while hunting for Osama.

:D

Chirping

I just sent you a pm. If you dont get it try this link. Sorry you will have to fish through this but this is the best help I can give. The part(Camshaft Synchroniser is top front side center of the motor) it is right below the two ignition coils. It is where the distributer use to be. I thought you might be interested in reading this web page:
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=793238&referrerid=63573

From,
timmosazz
If you have any more questions let me know. I will probably be doing the work this weekend. Just waiting for the parts.

There you go

That is the same thing that i used as a guide line when I fixed mine. The squeek is gone and it is running great. Thanks all.:usa:

I had the squeak for months before I got a CHECK ENGINE light. The shaft got so loose it contacted the inner A circuit pickup, and snapped it off.

Easy way to tell if #1 is at TDC is cover the spark plug hole and wait for the rush of air out correct?

Even easier: Remove the cam sensor from the synchronizer, and bump the engine until it is in the correct synch position required to install the alignment tool. You should be very close to TDC. Then I used a large screwdriver on the power steering pulley bolts to slightly rotate the engine until the 0° mark on the harmonic damper lines up perfectly with the timing pointer.

Has anybody noticed a problem with the Dorman product vs the motorcraft besides the price.

You mean the Ford part cosing 4-5 times as much? Yeah, I heard elsewhere that there was a dimensional problem with the Dorman™ unit, this proved to be the case with mine. The pilot shaft at the bottom was .0015 larger in diameter than the one on the OE part I removed. I removed the drive gear from the shaft, and stuck a 1/4 hex shaft in a cordless drill, and spun the shaft for 4-5 minutes with a piece of 150 grit silicon carbide paper squeezed to the shaft. Then I smoothed it with a piece of 400. Slipped right in. If you don't have a micrometer, you could just do this from the bottom up, until it fit the pilot hole. I didn't like the look of the roll pin holding the gear, it was not nearly as heavy as the one in the Ford part. After I finished the shaft, I put the gear back on using the stronger pin. The rest of the Dorman™ unit looked pretty good, and the truck now runs perfectly, more power than before the failure. No one mentions it in their listings, but the synchronizer alignment tool comes with the synchronizer and sensor assembly.

New member. Not sure I'm in the right place. 00 Explorer 4.0L V6 SOHC with 59,000 miles. Loud whining sound coming from Air Cleaner Housing (air filter new). There appears to be no pattern to when the noise takes place. Sometimes before I even get out of driveway and other times on the hwy. I looked under the hood and its clear that the noise is coming from Air Cleaner Housing - that's where the noise is exiting but not sure what is generating the noise. Any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i've got the same sound as iboneward. just trying to figure out what's going on. if anyone knows, please tell. thanks, matt.

Back