Preferred towing package? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Preferred towing package?

WHICH SET OF EXPLORER VEHICLES WOULD TOW 5000 LB TRAILER dry weight
THE BEST....I know the 8's would easilly but when not towing more xpensive
to opperate. Disregard all extras...heated seats for example....
(

class IV and 7 pin on all
05 3.73 differential, 4.0L V6 !V hitch 48k miles
06 3.55 " 4.6 L V8 " 47k "
08 " " V8 " 29k '

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

all of those are made to tow at least 5000 lbs

actually I think all those configurations will tow at least 6500lbs but i would need to verify that for sure...

the 4.6L will pull very strong however the difference in gearing and transmissions may actually make the SOHC tow better. There have been many here who have complained about the gen3/gen4 transmission for towing. It seems that the 6 speed only runs in 4th gear when not in overdrive. This makes the engine wind up when towing on the highway. You may want to find out which of those options has which transmission option. And then we can make a better decision.

Which ever option you choose, you will also want to add an extra tranny cooler and a temp gauge. If you will be towing a lot these two inexpensive items can save your neck in transmission repairs.

Geesh i sound like a broken record, but it really does make a difference

oh you will also want to flush the tranny and put full synthetic fluid in there..

Test drive all and buy the one you love.
The 08's have a stiffer frame and feel better on the road, they also have a longer wheel base.

tranny cooler

all of those are made to tow at least 5000 lbs

actually I think all those configurations will tow at least 6500lbs but i would need to verify that for sure...

the 4.6L will pull very strong however the difference in gearing and transmissions may actually make the SOHC tow better. There have been many here who have complained about the gen3/gen4 transmission for towing. It seems that the 6 speed only runs in 4th gear when not in overdrive. This makes the engine wind up when towing on the highway. You may want to find out which of those options has which transmission option. And then we can make a better decision.

Which ever option you choose, you will also want to add an extra tranny cooler and a temp gauge. If you will be towing a lot these two inexpensive items can save your neck in transmission repairs.

Geesh i sound like a broken record, but it really does make a difference

oh you will also want to flush the tranny and put full synthetic fluid in there..

I never heard of syn tranny oil....used syn oil for years and get 200+ on cars....i will use it in tranny. the Exp V8 came with a tow package and a tranny cooler...I have a few months to check on it before I get a trailer. towed before out west and in Canada. Love to tow. ....Love to drive.

I never heard of syn tranny oil....used syn oil for years and get 200+ on cars....i will use it in tranny. the Exp V8 came with a tow package and a tranny cooler...I have a few months to check on it before I get a trailer. towed before out west and in Canada. Love to tow. ....Love to drive.

well all mercon V oils are semi-synthetic oils however there are a few brands that carry a full synthetic mercon V. And with how hot these things run while towing it is cheap insurance....:thumbsup:

tow syn oil

well all mercon V oils are semi-synthetic oils however there are a few brands that carry a full synthetic mercon V. And with how hot these things run while towing it is cheap insurance....:thumbsup:

THANKS !!!!
With that advice I will surly take.
I am a firm believer of syn oil.
What would the tran temp gage be placed in "****pit"?
Mite its use invalidate warantee?
G:usa::usa::usa:

Yeah I have mine under the dash where I can just tilt my head and check temps safely while driving. Technically no after market part can void the warranty unless they can prove that it was the cause of the damage. That is what I was told however It's all very gray when it comes to legal issues like that. I will say that I won't ever tow without one in my truck. There are too many mountains around here, and it is way too easy to fry a tranny and not even know about it until you start having issues, and then it's too late the damage is done.

Back