Possible overheating starting

blwnsmoke

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
So about 2 weeks ago my wife and I were heading out to meet a bunch of people for lunch. We were about 30 minutes ahead of them so we pulled over on the side of the road and waited. It was 42* outside and as I glanced down at the temp gauge, I could see it starting to rise above the lower part of the display (sailboat??) For the 18,000 miles we've had it, it has never once moved above that lower part, infact as I'm sure every one has seen, once it rises to that point, it just stays there.

Well I continued to watch it creep higher and higher. I took a picture of it at the point where I decided to shut the engine off and let it cool down. I didn't allow it to go to an overheat condition but have no doubt that that is where it was heading. I also began to smell a burning smell..

Thoughts??

temp.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not a sailboat.;) It's a thermometer in water. Did you check and see if the fans by the radiator were running? It may be that they stopped working. Others have experienced that as well. TSB 11-7-21, COOLING FAN NOISE, LACK OF A/C AND/OR OVERHEAT CONDITION.

Peter

Smelled antifreeze four times in a three week period. Dealer said coolant system fine. Said could not replace fans without a code from the computer which it did not have. Will have to keep a close eye on temp. when weather gets warm. Planning a "road trip" this summer. It will probably over heat on the Blue Ridge Parkway in the middle of nowhere.
I would take to dealer so they can check for code.

Not a sailboat.;) It's a thermometer in water.
Peter

Well it looks like a damn sailboat lol..

I'm very firmiliar with the overheat condition... not so much with my vehicle but with the popularity of it on here.

My thoughts were.. lets let it overheat so I can get a picture of the display but I didn't want to let it go that high.

I have 5 things to be fixed, I will be curious to see what the dealer says. They've been excellent with me with both vehicles but you just never know.

good luck! I hope your photo is proof enough that it will overheat an I hope they swap out the fans no issue, if they want to pull the usual: "if we can't reproduce the issue, we can fix it", then I would say:

1.If it's a lease, let the f**** OVERHEAT! :mad:

2.- If it's purchased and you plan to keep for the long run, let it overheat and demand extended engine warranty for as long as you own the vehicle :D

The same thing happened to me during a MFT upgrade. It was raining and less than 50 degrees outside. The MFT upgrade took at least 45 minutes. I wish I snapped a picture as you did...I was just waiting for the MFT upgrade to finish so I could take it for a ride and cool it off, which it did.
I'm really (not) looking forward to this next MFT upgrade and possible overheating - at least you can drive the vehicle during the upgrade.

Smelled antifreeze four times in a three week period. Dealer said coolant system fine. Said could not replace fans without a code from the computer which it did not have. Will have to keep a close eye on temp. when weather gets warm. Planning a "road trip" this summer. It will probably over heat on the Blue Ridge Parkway in the middle of nowhere.
I would take to dealer so they can check for code.

Your dealer is full of bull. They can replace it without a code. I'd find another dealer to do the work.

I've noticed that my fans are not spinning on my 2012 but no change in the temperature gauge. How often do the fans spin?

I've noticed that my fans are not spinning on my 2012 but no change in the temperature gauge. How often do the fans spin?
I believe they come on when the engine/coolant temperature reaches a certain point. They don't come on at start up, if that is when you are looking at them.

Peter

I believe they come on when the engine/coolant temperature reaches a certain point. They don't come on at start up, if that is when you are looking at them.

Peter

I was checking them after running errands and then again after my hour commute to work. No spinny. Maybe it's just been cold enough that they aren't running much.

The same thing happened to me during a MFT upgrade...
jlrohio,

I’m available to help by arranging a call from the Customer Service Manager in your area. For me to do that, please send a PM with your contact information, VIN, dealer name/state, and approximate mileage.

...It was 42* outside and as I glanced down at the temp gauge, I could see it starting to rise above the lower part of the display (sailboat??) For the 18,000 miles we've had it, it has never once moved above that lower part...
blwnsmoke,

You’re right; it does look like a sailboat. :)

I still have your details from before, so shoot a PM and I’ll be happy to arrange a follow-up.

Not a sailboat.;) It's a thermometer in water...
Maybe it's a floating buoy, Peter? ;)

Smelled antifreeze four times in a three week period. Dealer said coolant system fine...
I want to see that you’re taken care of, GWA1. I have your VIN from previous messages; drop a line with the above info via PM so I can set up a call for you.

I was checking them after running errands and then again after my hour commute to work. No spinny. Maybe it's just been cold enough that they aren't running much.
Houtzb,

Yes; they will only come on if needed. If you’re driving fast enough or it’s cool enough outside, they won’t come on.

Cory

Just discovered something looking through the manual. The thermometer on the temp display changes colour. Blue for cool, gray for normal and red for HOT.

Peter

Just dicovered something looking through the manual. The thermometer on the temp display changes colour. Blue for cool, gray for normal and red for HOT.

Peter

LOL. I guess you never looked at the temp. display when Ex is cold. I've never seen it red thank god!
FYI The fuel guage changes color too!!! LOL (couldn't resist, he,he)

LOL. I guess you never looked at the temp. display when Ex is cold. I've never seen it red thank god!
FYI The fuel guage changes color too!!! LOL (couldn't resist, he,he)
You are right GWA1. I use the display with the instant MPG, fuel level and Tach. Never let the fuel level get below 1/3 of a tank. I'd prefer to swap the Tach display with the Temp in that setup but that doesn't seem to be an option.
Picked up my Explorer 1 year ago today. Perhaps I'll have everything figured out by the time the lease is up in 3 more years.;)

Peter

Cory, I emailed Robin Koska, my Ford CS rep on March 4th with no reply. NOT HAPPY!!! I just called and left a message a few minutes ago.

My Ex is now shutting the ac off at stoplights because of the overheating.

I have about 8-9 issues and have a weekend trip. I am not comfortable traveling distances with this mess. I expect a phone call asap and want a rental from Ford.

blwnsmoke,

I never got a response from any Ford Customer Svc reps either other than the ones here telling me someone would contact me.

You are best to take it to a dealer ASAP and have the fans replaced under TSB 11-07-21. As an FYI, TSB 11-5-18 was superseded by TSB 11-07-21.

I asked them to check the codes in the computer and they found code P0217 (Engine Over Temperature) and P1299 (Cylinder Head Temperature Sensor Detected Engine Overheating Condition) had registered. I had them list those codes on the computer for my vehicle for future reference.

As for a rental, I can't find the TSB online, but recall when I was researching it, that there was mention of Ford reimbursing the dealer for one day of a rental in their online system (how ever that is done). Maybe someone can find the TSB (with all the details) and post it here that spells it out on the rental. Either way, it only took a few hours...I think they took longer doing my MFT upgrade while it was there and an oil change. (Now I have to worry about my transmission air dam possibly falling off! Great!!) :eek:

Jlrohio, thanks for the comments. Robin has been great in the past. She has provided a rental free of charge before as well as waived me deductible on my F250. I know this is the exception, not the rule but with the laundry list of things wrong

Rain noise, apillar buzz, mft update, moonroof rattle, overheating, brakes squealing again, low oil pressure warning when in aux mode (tsb on this), drivers side window chatters..

Just off the top of my head...

blensmoke: did you approach your dealership with the photo you took early in the month? that was clearly a sign that the vehicle has a tendency to overheat... I am curious as to what proof, other than an actual overheated stranded vehicle are they looking for before the change the fans.
This should be a recall for all pre-May 2011 builds, period.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Newtoford, no only because I emailed my CS rep the day I posted this thread and waiting on her reply.

Also need to add to the list, the hitch cover no longer snaps in.. so as you drive the 4 tabs pop out and is only held on by the 2 turn style screw tabs.

Back