2013 Limited vs. Sport - Features and Options | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 Limited vs. Sport - Features and Options

It would be quite a bit cheaper to invest in some good aftermarket bulbs. I did that on my Highlander and it made such a difference that when I got the HID in the Limited, I was somewhat disappointed in their performance.

Peter

That's because you have a 2011 limited, and the HID's suck on them. The ones on the 2013 are much better.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know its not a big deal to add hids, i have ddm tuning hids on my evo x fogs, my venza foglights, and my f150. My Venza came with stock hid headlights and so did my evo x. I just think with an Msrp of 490835 there is no way any vehicle in 2013 should not come stock with solid hid headlights, not even an option? Thats ridiculous.

It would be quite a bit cheaper to invest in some good aftermarket bulbs. I did that on my Highlander and it made such a difference that when I got the HID in the Limited, I was somewhat disappointed in their performance.

Peter

What manufacturer bulb/type did you end up with for the Highlander? I've seen one example of integrating BMW xenon lamps into another car, but that required a lot of work. It's too bad these kind of parts aren't swappable, but then again I'm just dreaming...

I know its not a big deal to add hids, i have ddm tuning hids on my evo x fogs, my venza foglights, and my f150. My Venza came with stock hid headlights and so did my evo x. I just think with an Msrp of 490835 there is no way any vehicle in 2013 should not come stock with solid hid headlights, not even an option? Thats ridiculous.
Msrp of 490835 . Huh??

What manufacturer bulb/type did you end up with for the Highlander? I've seen one example of integrating BMW xenon lamps into another car, but that required a lot of work. It's too bad these kind of parts aren't swappable, but then again I'm just dreaming...
I ordered Philips X-treme Power Bulbs from the U.K. That was in 2009 and they weren't available here at that time.

Peter

I am surprised that HID's are not on an almost $50,000 SUV - Explorer Sport. Just assumed they were.

It would be nice if Ford would train all of their salespeople on facts like this. I ordered my Sport last night and the guy told me it would come with the power folding seats. This and the HID headlights should come in the 402A package with the Sport.

To clarify, the automatic fold button in the second row is eliminated as well. However, with the manual third row, you are able to utilize the tailgate seating configuration. New for 2013 and only for manual seats on the Ex.

Yeah that was supposed to be 49085, sorry about that. What is tailgate seating configuration?

Yeah that was supposed to be 49085, sorry about that. What is tailgate seating configuration?
I knoew there was an extra number in there but wasn't sure which one. Almost like playing the old Bob Barker show The Price Is Right where contestants had to take away a number to guess the actual price.:)
I believe the tailgate configuration allows you to fold the seats backwards to utilize them in a rear sitting position. In other words, they topple over backwards so that you are actually sitting on the normal seat back and not the cushion. If I'm not mistaken, the tailgate would have to be open in order to use them in that position. Sounds a bit uncomfortable to me.

Peter

However, with the manual third row, you are able to utilize the tailgate seating configuration. New for 2013 and only for manual seats on the Ex.

from the 2013 manual... the tailgate position can cause damage to the seat if you use them this way. They weren't designed to have high loads on the seat backs (as opposed to the reinforced rear flex seats that do allow for this position)

tailgateposition.png

im pretty sure my 2013 explorer sport has HID projectors...

ill have to look when i get home, i know the manual said it takes a D3S bulb...assumed it was HID

seems to be the case...but they work great.

I would go Sport. The driving experience in my opinion trumps the need for electric seats on the few occasions that you fold them. I think since getting our 2011 Explorer we might have performed this 5-10 times?! I would have much preferred an ecoboost engine. As far as HIDs? Get yourself a set of DDMTuning.com digital HID 9006 bulbs in 4300K color and the associated wiring harness. For approx. $60 you have HIDs and you take the load off the stock harness by using the DDM harness which has relays and fuses built in as a fail safe. Once installed and height aligned, your projector headlights will project the same sharp light cutoff as the factory HIDs. Order an extra set of bulbs for only $15 with your order.:D

from the 2013 manual... the tailgate position can cause damage to the seat if you use them this way. They weren't designed to have high loads on the seat backs (as opposed to the reinforced rear flex seats that do allow for this position)

tailgateposition.png

Sure, don't drive with the seats configured this way. But don't sit on the seats when configured for TG mode? Your words and the attachment's words seem to be saying different things.

I'm just curious, because the dealer seems to think the TG mode in the EX Sport is by design for 2013. I don't understand why the seats would fold in this manner if they weren't structurally safe to handle the load.

Once you get past the awkwardness of having the head rest project straight out from the crotch, it's actually a pretty nice feature! I was pumped on the idea for Broncos games, Red Rocks concerts...

Sure, don't drive with the seats configured this way. But don't sit on the seats when configured for TG mode? Your words and the attachment's words seem to be saying different

I don't understand why the seats would fold in this manner if they weren't structurally safe to handle the load.

Close the ad covering the bottom of the attachment where it says "Note: Do not use seat in this position or damage to seat may occur.

Go evaluate the seat back structure of the flex and then compare it to the explorer, they aren't designed to carry weight in that position, when they are folded you are putting weight on the seat bottom, when they are up you are putting weight on the seat bottom, they aren't meant to be folded in this manner, it's a position you can put them in when not completing the procedure to stow the seats. Why do you think you can't put them in this position on the power fold limited?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's because you have a 2011 limited, and the HID's suck on them. The ones on the 2013 are much better.

Funny you say that because I thought the same thing but didnt know there was an actual difference between MY11 and MY13.

Maybe its just because there are only a few of us who have driven 11's and 13's back to back.

Back