GMC Acadia Denali VS Ford Explorer Limited | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

GMC Acadia Denali VS Ford Explorer Limited

Steve7647

Reaction score
City, State
Oak Lawn, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer
I have been shopping around for an explorer. At this point I'm going to Waite for the 2014. Then I ran in to a gmc dealer and he ran the figures he can get me the fully loaded Acadia for much less than ford is offering me the fully loaded explorer and the Acadia is much more expenses. I'm a ford employee yet gmc has a better deal.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Acadia doesn't have near the tech that the explorer has. And you'll find the beautiful GM engineering as soon as you look at those nasty guages that got carried over from the "refresh". It looks cheap and all of the materials in there are. Unfortunately I use to be a GM fanboy, I don't exactly love the explorer but I dumped a $63k suburban for it because that damn thing was a pos.

I agree it not even close on the tech side. But I keep hearing it has a better ride and apparently they upgraded the inside to improve the comfort and seats.

But it's so ugly !!!
no style @ all :)

I agree it not even close on the tech side. But I keep hearing it has a better ride and apparently they upgraded the inside to improve the comfort and seats.

I thought the seats looked exactly the same as before. They are just so ugly... Agh I can't express it enough lol and the quality is just so GM.

The "new" Acadia uses the Old Saturn Outlook shell with some minor front fender changes. A guy I know has just got one, and while it has some impressive things, half of the dash has already stopped working, after only 1000kms.
It's up to you though.

Si

Don't buy the Ford

I have been shopping around for an explorer. At this point I'm going to Waite for the 2014. Then I ran in to a gmc dealer and he ran the figures he can get me the fully loaded Acadia for much less than ford is offering me the fully loaded explorer and the Acadia is much more expenses. I'm a ford employee yet gmc has a better deal.

I have a 2011. Nothing but problems, overheating, leaky roof they can't find a way to fix. I was a huge Ford fan, Dad and Grandfather both mechanics for Ford for 50yrs combined experience. Service is horrible. By an Acura MDX, my wife has 90k on her 2005 and hasn't had one issue. I just got my truck back for the 2nd time with a water leak they said was fixed. Well rained today and still leaking.. Look on YouTube for my leak video its under 2011 Ford Explorer Roof Leak (joeydonuts) is my YouTube name. Trust me 50k for a leaky truck isn't worth it.

I have a 2011. Nothing but problems, overheating, leaky roof they can't find a way to fix. Well rained today and still leaking.. Look on YouTube for my leak video its under 2011 Ford Explorer Roof Leak (joeydonuts) is my YouTube name. Trust me 50k for a leaky truck isn't worth it.

Do you have a sunroof? I will never own a sunroof. I hate them in every way and they always seem to leak no matter what brand.

Steve,

I actually have both at home, my 2013 Ex Limited and my wife's 2013 Acadia Denali

Like them both but they are quite different, so my first piece of advice is drive both before you make any decisions.

As the previous posters have said, the Acadia Denali is very nice, especially the redesigned 2013 but it lacks behind in technology.

IntelliLink is a good system, BT functionality is way better then MFT but they went with a tiny 6.5" screen for 2013, too small in my opinion. BT sound quality in Denali is way better then Explorer. Sirius XM in the GMC is much better quality then in the Ford, not sure why but sounds way better and better reception too.

A $50K Acadia Denali should not be missing heated steering wheel, Lane Keeping technology, Adaptive Cruise, power 3rd row seats, power rear lift gate.

The Denali is heavy and rides nice on the highway but is nowhere as nimble in the city as the Explorer. You notice the different feel when you switch between the two.

3rd row in the Denali will seat an adult comfortably, not so in the Explorer.

I like driving them both but they are different so you need to drive them to see what you like best.

It's a minor issue but it bugs me that in the redesigned 2013 Acadia Denali I see the exact same steering wheel controls from my 2007 GMC Yukon Denali.

Just my 2 cents on other brands...
I drove 2 rentals these past 2 weeks when out of state, a 2012 Durango and a 2013 GMC Terrain.
I wanted to try the Tahoe but it was expensive - I have not seen Tahoe's mentioned here, no love for the big bear?

If the Terrain is anything like the Denali in terms of similar materials and basic layout, I wouldnt do it. Overall not comfortable, ugly and cheesy dash, horrible power and drive, felt terrible.
If its cheaper, its because its cheaper.

But the Denali looks to be huge, 3rd row is full size for sure.
With nicer wheels it would look nice. Not as boxy as last year.

So I dumped the Terrain after 1 time around the lot...

The Durango was not pretty inside either, but very responsive engine.
Steering was a bit stiff, but was smooth on the hiway and easy to drive in the city. Very smooth shifting.
Console tech was the same as Ex? -same voice, BT UConnect connection type-worked well, almost same steering wheel controls but for different items-dealt with radio and phone, different layout, even exact same pictures on buttons and same voice commands.
Console screen was not intuitive at all, it was smaller and had less on it, so it was a guessing game at first.
Music sounded great, had to back off the EQ a bit.
Vents and reading lights on roof in center for 2nd/3rd row, I liked that.

Manual h/ac controls along with electronic presets for both front and rear (NICE).

Also it had leather seats, same exact controls in front, 3rd row was real nice, full size it felt like. It is really long.
Child seat anchors easy to access.

Park assist sensors on the 4 corners, which was real nice.
Backup camera was blurry, not clear ever, no zoom.

Cargo bed cover was awesome - a cartridge that sat in 2 holes, and you pull out a leather cover with handle from the rear hatch, that locked into indents in the 2nd row or the rear pillars. Very sturdy and simple, and the cover would roll over tall items as well, nice and fast to install, use, and remove and throw in the back.
Cargo hooks were tiny and looked like keychains...

But every Ex I saw looked way better, much classier as they drove by.
Having said that, the new Durango looks way nicer for 2014.

Yes a leaky car isnt what anyone would want, if 1 thing should work without question, its the ability of a car not to leak. Even old rusty bangers dont leak...no excuses for leaking, that was solved long ago.

Good luck in your search.
Try a Tahoe and let us know? cmaaaan give it a try...

Wow! Thanks everyone for all the great advice! I'm leaning heavily on the 2014 explorer still. But my reason for consideration is gmc is offering me an incredible deal that ford can't even get close to. My father is an ford employee so I get the big discount also.

GMC a Acadia denali is $52,000.00 (fully loaded) with $3,710.00 down for 36 month lease 12,000 miles $400 a month.

For explorer limited is $40,000.00 with $6,000 down same leasing terms $400 a month.

That is a big differene. Only reason I'm looking at GMC.

What about residual values?

PS...No one is buying a 2013 Tahoe in the last year of this GMT900 style.

2014 platform is all new so don't consider a 13 for that kind of money.

Also a GMC Terrain isnt even close to a GMC Acadia

I did not ask what my residual value would have been. i'm still trying to figure out how GMC is able to give me such a better value when i get ford family discount.

"better value" is hard to define sometimes....

"cheaper" is easy to define :)

Just make sure you are comparing apples to apples and that supply and demand are not skewing the numbers ---
i.e. if there is only one dealer in town with the one car you want and no others are available --- then the cost should be higher....

Sounds like they are saying the gmc will be worth a LOT less at the end of the term....

So in actuality it's up to you what you consider 'of value' -
if the car does what you want and you've paid what YOU consider a fair price, then it's all good !!!
after all a car is just a tool to get you from one place to another - some quicker than others, some in better 'style' than others, some could care less about any esthetics ...

So, thus far, there are no laws to FORCE you to buy the standard - you have free choice... good luck on your decision...

car shopping is very frustrating. I Love the explorer and will be my car of choice in the end. just GMC threw out a hell of a deal that i had to at least consider.

It appears the Acadia is $12K more than the Explorer, so the price difference is a given. What they "Bet" or willing to "Set" the residual value at the end of the lease I imagine can be varied an change at any time. Just like discounting the selling price of the car. To me a lease is a long term rental since you never really own the car. If you turn the keys in at the end and don't buy it, then it probably doesn't matter long as you enjoy driving it for the time you have the lease. If you end up owning it and keeping it longer term then I would suspect you will consider longer term ownership things like reliability, parts availability, required maintenance, will I like driving it for 5 or more years, etc.

We just traded my wifes 07 tahoe ltz this past weekend in on her new explorer sport and I have a 2012 denali hd with a dmax and the interior on the sport is light years ahead of either GM. My wife loved her Tahoe until about 2 weeks ago when she test drove a sport. After a couple of weeks hunting for one with the options she wanted we pulled the trigger. The Tahoe is 15k higher and is a dated look, IMO the sport sets are more comfy and love the fact that the second row seats are adjust and recline.

Steve,
Sirius XM in the GMC is much better quality then in the Ford, not sure why but sounds way better and better reception too..

I believe it's because the Acadia has Bose 5.1 were explorer has Sony...Nothing

We just traded my wifes 07 tahoe ltz this past weekend in on her new explorer sport and I have a 2012 denali hd with a dmax and the interior on the sport is light years ahead of either GM. My wife loved her Tahoe until about 2 weeks ago when she test drove a sport. After a couple of weeks hunting for one with the options she wanted we pulled the trigger. The Tahoe is 15k higher and is a dated look, IMO the sport sets are more comfy and love the fact that the second row seats are adjust and recline.

Tahoe redesign this year, then they won't be light years behind hopefully. And the Tahoe costs more because isn't just a big car like the explorer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tahoe redesign this year, then they won't be light years behind hopefully. And the Tahoe costs more because isn't just a big car like the explorer.

I would almost bet the price on the redesigned Tahoe will go up another 5-8k...

Back