Vibration at highway speeds | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Vibration at highway speeds

Just to give you a heads-up, I have tried the smaller tires from a stock unit on one of our customers' explorers with the same results, still a vibration. I have even worked with a field service engineer along with other ford engineers with no luck. There is a characteristic to this vehicle of a vibration. I had my customer tell me that loaded up for a trip it lessons the vibration almost to the point of being gone. There is no known " fix" but I would think if you could alter the pinion angle it would go away.
Welcome to the Forum fordsrvc.:wavey:
It looks like you have eliminated the tires/wheels as a source of the vibration. If it was a vehicle 'characteristic', then everyone would have it. I don't.
I wonder if it could be an unbalanced driveshaft?
I had that problem once with an older Ford Club Wagon van and fixed it myself through trial and error with a hose clamp and a large flat washer bent to fit the shaft.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 2011 Explorer Limited has a high frequency vibration on smooth highway surfaces that starts somewhere around 65 mph. We planned to use the Explorer was for long highway trips so this is a significant issue for me.

Before I ordered my Explorer, I took a Limited demo out on a very smooth part of the interstate. For an objective, not subjective test, I put a plastic bottle filled with water up to the part of the bottle where it begins to narrow. The purpose was to see, as best I could, if there was any constant vibration over and above any slosh caused by road surface irregularities. Sure, the water sloshed around a little as I drove, but no constant vibration. It was a smooth riding vehicle for a crossover with 20” wheels so I ordered one.

(I had a set of 15” wheels for street tires and 16” (and also an inch wider) wheels for track tires on a sports car I used to take to track events so I am aware of the ride quality differences that go along with lower profile and/or wider tires. In other words, I don’t think my issue is with 20” wheels.)

When I got my new vehicle home about 6 weeks later, I noticed 10 wheel weights right beside each other on one back wheel and ten beside each other on the other. I chalked it up to a quick wheel balance job at the factory and wasn’t too surprised when I picked up vibration at speed on the highway.

I took the car into the dealership and they used their Hunter machine to do a road force balance.

The next time out on the highway, I did my water bottle test which I didn’t need to do to feel the vibration, but it helps make the test objective. I still get a consistent high frequency vibration. By that I mean the surface of the water vibrates rapidly. Of course I also get some sloshing movement of the water from road surface irregularities even on smooth interstates, but it is the vibration that makes the ride uncomfortable on road trips. When I was a passenger on a 400 mile trip last weekend I could feel the vibration in my feet. It felt similar to the feeling you get when your feet “fall asleep”, but mine weren’t. It makes a long highway trip seem longer and less enjoyable than it should.

By the way, other than this issue, I like the Explorer a lot. I like the ride around town at speeds up to 50 mph or so and have enjoyed learning the capabilities of SYNC. But I don’t look forward to long highway trips.

I plan to take the next demo Limited the dealership gets out to the highway to do the water bottle test just to make sure I was right about the demo I drove a couple of months ago.

Until then, any ideas about what is causing the vibration?

I took my 2007 eddibauer to the dealer mentioning same conditions as yours. anfer 2 week of test they told me that it is due to a mechatronic unites misfuntioning. up to now I have not found any information of how to repair this unite wich is very expensive when new.

hello everyone, I you has this short time vibration at 50 to 65 mph you will notice that it does not last more that 3 to 5 seconds, it is not relates to surface or tire problems. I took mine to the dealer and performed with them during two weeks all test necesary to reproduce and determine the reason of this vibration.
Finally they realized that it was due to a misfuntioning in the mechatronic unite.
This unite very expensive and i am looking for any possibility to repair or adjusting prior to replace it by a newone. If any of you have more information of how to fix it please let us know.

hello everyone, I you has this short time vibration at 50 to 65 mph you will notice that it does not last more that 3 to 5 seconds, it is not relates to surface or tire problems. I took mine to the dealer and performed with them during two weeks all test necesary to reproduce and determine the reason of this vibration.
Finally they realized that it was due to a misfuntioning in the mechatronic unite.
This unite very expensive and i am looking for any possibility to repair or adjusting prior to replace it by a newone. If any of you have more information of how to fix it please let us know.

Jose, My vehicles vibration is consistently there at specific speeds and does not go away with time, only with changing speeds.

I experienced the vibration on a trip to South Carolina. I only had the truck for about a week, and that was the first time at prolonged hi-way speeds. You don't notice the effect at first, but then you feel a tingling in your gas pedal foot.
It's not from tires; tires don't produce that type of vibration. They don't turn fast enough. If replacing tires makes it seem better, then that should satisfy you for a while anyway. Plus that's an expensive shot in the dark at finding a cure.
I'm now wondering if it is only on LTD's with the adjustable pedals. Otherwise it's a narrow range of engine RPM & trans gears that produce this frequency at a certain road speed.
I've never noticed it since, so maybe it was a break-in phenom.
Just my thoughts.

I experienced the vibration on a trip to South Carolina. I only had the truck for about a week, and that was the first time at prolonged hi-way speeds. You don't notice the effect at first, but then you feel a tingling in your gas pedal foot.
It's not from tires; tires don't produce that type of vibration. They don't turn fast enough. If replacing tires makes it seem better, then that should satify you for a while anyway. Plus that's an expensive shot in the dark at finding a cure.
I'm now wondering if it is only on LTD's with the adjustable pedals. Otherwise it's a narrow range of engine RPM & trans gears that produce this frequency at a certain road speed.
I've never noticed it since, so maybe it was a break-in phenom.
Just my thoughts.
I have the Limited and the adjustable pedals and have not experienced the vibration. But I also do not have the OEM tires but it seems tires/wheels have been ruled out in some cases.
Any easy way to check the driveshaft to see if it is out of balance?

Peter

I have the Limited and the adjustable pedals and have not experienced the vibration. But I also do not have the OEM tires but it seems tires/wheels have been ruled out in some cases.
Any easy way to check the driveshaft to see if it is out of balance?

Peter

I have a Limited with adjustable pedals and OEM tires. And I have not experienced a buzzing vibration in the pedal. I do recall another thread in this forum which discussed pedal buzz or vibration. If I can find it I'll cross post a link here.

Thread subject: 2012 Explorer Gas Pedal Vibration 1200-1500RPM
Link: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=332856&referrerid=178642

I have a Limited with adjustable pedals and OEM tires. And I have not experienced a buzzing vibration in the pedal. I do recall another thread in this forum which discussed pedal buzz or vibration. If I can find it I'll cross post a link here.

Thread subject: 2012 Explorer Gas Pedal Vibration 1200-1500RPM
Link: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=332856&referrerid=178642

Have the same issue...XLT with a feb 2012 build date. only in the low rpm's in certain gears. usually when driving with a heavy foot, it doesn't happen. Working one issue at a time...first up is the crazy windnoise with bluetooth...i'll tackle this next! Let us know if they find out how to fix!

Continuous vibration at highway speeds

Same issue.

Above 80/90Km/h a vibration is felt on the driver seat and passenger seat is vibrating as well.
I thought it was due to wheel alignment or wheel rim bending, but after doing a wheel balance the vibration is still there.

I am running on OEM hancook 20" tyres with 15.500Km.

I will bring the car in service on the 23rd but I am sure they will not be able to handle this.

After reading all these posts, I am tempted to change the tyres, although they are still new and see what happens...

Xplanfan- I'd like to know if you ever had this resolved. Mine has had the same problem since new. Most recently they tested (again) the tires and found one had an out-of-spec road force reading (29?) so they replaced just the one front tire. Not only am I concerned about replacing just one tire after 18,000 miles, but the vibration persists.

Note that replacing the tire did seem to improve the vibration problem but did not eliminate it. As mine had become slightly worse over time I wonder if the tires are failing in some manner.

Note that replacing the tire did seem to improve the vibration problem but did not eliminate it. As mine had become slightly worse over time I wonder if the tires are failing in some manner.
You may want to check out the post by Nexus on 04-22-2012, page 3 of the following thread. Mentions weights on the transmission shift cable to dampen vibration.
Also the last post talks about a loose cooling line.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=332856&highlight=vibration

Peter

Xplanfan- I'd like to know if you ever had this resolved. Mine has had the same problem since new. Most recently they tested (again) the tires and found one had an out-of-spec road force reading (29?) so they replaced just the one front tire. Not only am I concerned about replacing just one tire after 18,000 miles, but the vibration persists.

RandyH2,
Unforutnately, I have never been able to get Ford to fully resolve the issue my 2012 Explorer has with vibrations at highway speeds. The vibration is still present at harmonics between 60 and 70 mph. The dealer performed all of the actions that Ford has recommended (over time), but these actions have had limited affect on the vibration (after 12K miles on vehicle now). Early on they replaced one tire (20" Hankook 426) as out spec. And another one has 3 ounces of balance weight which is probably just in tolerance, but I'm convinced the problem is more than this tire as the vibration seems to stay up front even when this tire has been rotated to the back. My Customer Service Representative did give me an extended maintenance contract so that I can keep bring the vehicle back to the dealer, but the dealer is out of ideas and said it a characteristic of this vehicles. So. unless the Ford engineers identify a common problem or something finally breaks, I'm out of luck.

xplanfan

My vibration is definitely not gone. Perhaps a little better than it was before the tire replacement but still there. Ugh.

I have also developed a vibration in mine. Can really fell it in my drivers seat between 60-90 kms ..... Very annoying....

It's actually more of a shaking. Just started.....

Mine started as more of a shake- all passengers could feel it. Now I think it is less noticeable to passengers but I still feel it, possibly because I ahve been dealing with it for 17 months.

Mine started as more of a shake- all passengers could feel it. Now I think it is less noticeable to passengers but I still feel it, possibly because I ahve been dealing with it for 17 months.

My wife noticed the vibrations first while sitting in the back seats, on a long drive last week it was noticeable with bags and other things in the car making noise caused by the vibrations.

Took it into the shop, they told the PTO was bad and took 3 days to get parts in and replaced it.

Took it home and had wife drive while i rode in the back seat, it felt like I was sitting on a vibrating seat even when on very smooth roads.

Felt it the most while between 45-65mph.....starting to wonder if this isn't a problem with the new explorers.

My wife noticed the vibrations first while sitting in the back seats, on a long drive last week it was noticeable with bags and other things in the car making noise caused by the vibrations.

Took it into the shop, they told the PTO was bad and took 3 days to get parts in and replaced it.

Took it home and had wife drive while i rode in the back seat, it felt like I was sitting on a vibrating seat even when on very smooth roads.

Felt it the most while between 45-65mph.....starting to wonder if this isn't a problem with the new explorers.

Hi jdahunt,

This is just a heads up that I responded to your PM. Let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns.

Thanks!

Crystal

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Has anyone found out a reason for the vibrations? I recently just purchased a 2015 explorer xlt with 25000km on it. Its been in the shop once already for a hard shift in the transmission (which they could not produce) and a vibration and hum around 100km/h. The dealer said the vibration and hum was due to a faulty engine mount, replaced it and sent it back to me "fixed". Thought it might have been the tires out of balance but i just had new rims and winters put on and its doing the exact same thing. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Back