Road noise/slight vibration? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Road noise/slight vibration?

Robert L1

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited
Hi

I just purchased a new 13 Limited from a dealer's lot with the 20 inch wheel option. Seems to be slightly more noisy inside the cabin and a SLIGHT road vibration in the steering wheel driving around town. The 2012 model, which I test drove, seemed to be more quieter and less road vibration than the one I purchased.

Am I crazy?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is the tire pressure correct? When we picked ours up, 3 tires were 3 psi low, and one was 1.5 psi high.

Check to see if any of your tires are over-filled.

Hi

I just purchased a new 13 Limited from a dealer's lot with the 20 inch wheel option. Seems to be slightly more noisy inside the cabin and a SLIGHT road vibration in the steering wheel driving around town. The 2012 model, which I test drove, seemed to be more quieter and less road vibration than the one I purchased.

Am I crazy?
Welcome to the Forum Robert L1.:wavey:
Was the one you test drove also a Limited? The Base, XLT and Limiteds all have different tires and tire sizes. The 20" tires are prone to flat spotting if parked for a while. That does cause a bit of a vibration but it usually disappears after a couple of miles. I cannot really comment much on tire noise. I only had my tires for about 30 miles before I changed them. From what I can recall, they were not very noisy.

Peter

Hi

Am I crazy?

nO Not crAZY - vibration is a feature of this vehicle. The one you test drove was an exception to the rule so you should have bought that one (jk) :D

Kidding aside, my 20" Hankooks do flat spot, but after that subsides there is still a vibration somewhere in the drive train. Been to the dealer several times, but they gave up and called the vibration normal for this vehicle :(

(edited to correct tire brand)

...... my 20" Yokos do flat spot, but after that subsides there is still a vibration somewhere in the drive train. Been to the dealer several times, but they gave up and called the vibration normal for this vehicle :(
Was that a little error or did you also change your Hankooks to Yokohamas? I put on the Yokohama Parada Spec-X and they have been great.
As for the vibration, have they checked the alignment at all? Not sure if that could cause a vibration but when I was in for my oil change and 12B36 program last week they told that while my alignment was still within specs, it was just on the edge of being so. I have only put 8900 kms (5500 miles) on it over the past 13.5 months.

Peter

Was that a little error or did you also change your Hankooks to Yokohamas? I put on the Yokohama Parada Spec-X and they have been great.
As for the vibration, have they checked the alignment at all? Not sure if that could cause a vibration but when I was in for my oil change and 12B36 program last week they told that while my alignment was still within specs, it was just on the edge of being so. I have only put 8900 kms (5500 miles) on it over the past 13.5 months.

Peter

Yes, I meant my Hankooks. Brain fart on my part - I wish I had Yokohamas. I apologize if I offended you or any other Yokohama fans.

Back