im really confused now.. factory sub install. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

im really confused now.. factory sub install.

rokr1292

Reaction score
City, State
richardsville va
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Explorer Sport Trac
Ill probably be getting and installing a factory subwoofer and amp for my 2001 st. Now, my truck wasn't originally equipped with one, and to boot, I have an aftermarket headunit.now, after doing a little research, im reading about all of these different wire colors for different year explorers, and im nott sure what I should listen to.

Now, ill be getting the harness too, and I don't plan on running rca cable to the amp to splice in the back, id prefer to splice into the wires before the plug for the factory harness in the passenger kickpanel. Does anyone know what wire colors I would be splicing into?

My other question is, how do you tell the positive and negative in an rca jack?

Ill probably be getting and installing a factory subwoofer and amp for my 2001 st. Now, my truck wasn't originally equipped with one, and to boot, I have an aftermarket headunit.now, after doing a little research, im reading about all of these different wire colors for different year explorers, and im nott sure what I should listen to.

Now, ill be getting the harness too, and I don't plan on running rca cable to the amp to splice in the back, id prefer to splice into the wires before the plug for the factory harness in the passenger kickpanel. Does anyone know what wire colors I would be splicing into?

My other question is, how do you tell the positive and negative in an rca jack?

Found you!
Ok, so, the wiring harness you would get will plug into a terminal already installed in your truck. It's on the passenger side under the kick plate. Big ol plug. That is wired up to the bundle of wires that your head unit is hooked up too. Unless when the new head unit was installed all the factory wires were removed, which I don't think is the case.

So, after u plug that in and run the wire to the back, the wiring harness and all the wires you'd be getting meet at one convenient plug and that single plug goes to your amp you'd also be receiving. There are no RCA jacks or anything. I can email pics of the stuff.

After posting I found a plug that goes from the factory sub plug into the back of the stereo, and turns it into rca jacks. So wiring is figured out after all. And pretty simply. Haha

I was scared outta my mind when i decided to go thru with my whole new setup, after starting to take it all out i felt a lot better. It always seems harder than it is until u do it

Back