Replacement Audio for 2003 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacement Audio for 2003 Explorer

Exp_Steve

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer V8 Limited
I have a Limited with the original Stereo, etc. The CDs have finally gotten stuck and the unit needs replacing.

Audio has come a long way. I want to replace it with the latest stuff. But I also want it to fit, look nice, and be user friendly.

Any recommendations on Units, brands, etc? What to avoid would be good too.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't have an answer but am also interested in replacing my stock unit. Not looking for giant sound system, just CD capable and built in GPS screen would be nice. Not fancy, just practical system that won't cost more than a wheel bearing replacement.

I looked around and am taking it to Omicron Electronics in Carrollton, TX. Guy is really knowledgeable. Getting a Pioneer AVH-P3300BT. Same size as the original and looks great. Plus I can pull it and reinstall the old one if/when I sell the explorer.

you guys can try crutchfield.com ....just put in the year make and model of your car and it would automatically show what fits...you can use it as a guide...

i personally stick with Kenwood head units and pioneer or kenwood speakers...the amps i like are rockford fosgate....goodluck in you search :thumbsup:

You don't have to replace the entire radio you can buy just the 6-CD changer and replacing it is easy. I did mine last year. I think i bought it off eBay. Still works good.

Went to Omicron electronics in Carrollton TX. Got a Pioneer AVH-P3300BT. Excellent fit and look for the interior. Looks almost factory. Great sound. Has blue tooth, SD card, USB, IPOD jack, and is expandable to include rear camera, GPS, Satellite, and such. $600 but worth it. Repairing the old one would have been $200-$325. And since I had audio envy really bad, this was a great solution. Kept me from buying a new car!

You don't have to replace the entire radio you can buy just the 6-CD changer and replacing it is easy. I did mine last year. I think i bought it off eBay. Still works good.

The CD platter is located in the radio on this model. Is that what you are saying you can replace? If so I need to do it also. Where did you buy the platter?

Thanks!

It's inside the radio but it's a separate unit...It's attached to the top of the radio. When you pull out the radio you undo a few screws and separate the CD changer from the radio. It's very easy to do.

Here's a link on how to separate:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268525

Here's a link on how to fix a similar changer, but good luck:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAwc1DEnGjI

here's a place that will fix it:
http://www.videoservicestop.com/radiorepairs/ford.htm

Search the web and eBay. Also you may find a place that will send you a rebuilt changer and you send in yours as a core. In most cases you can send in just the CD changer in for repair or just buy a replacement. Allot cheaper than a new aftermarket unit....I did mine a few years ago and still working great.:thumbsup:

I kept my old radio. If I trade the vehicle in, I may put the old one back in.... since I'd probably buy an identical explorer, just a newer model.

Is 2010 the last year for this explorer and did they make V8s that year?

I think 2010 was the last year and there was a v8 available, with better gas mileage and power than the earlier V8 (like mine)...I really liked this body style.

I looked at the 2011, the new body style does nothing for me. More of a minivan on steroids than a SUV. Can't tow anything bigger than a dingy, no v8 and only front wheel drive (unless you get the 4wd option) either way engine is installed sideways.

Mine is a 2003 limited with a V8, only has 70K miles, so I'll be hanging on to it for long time.

What's your budget and are you looking for sound quality (SQL) or sound pressure(SPL)? Are you looking to a subwoofer to your setup (I'd recommend it)?

I can put together a nice setup for you that fits your budget.

.........Mine is a 2003 limited with a V8, only has 70K miles, so I'll be hanging on to it for long time.

Mine is the same with 111k. I still LOVE the body style. Love everything about it. Plan on keeping it for a long time.

AND the new audio does wonders for my "audio envy".

IF I bought another car, it would be a 2009 or 2010 V8.....

Kenwood ddx418. I installed it in about an hour with the metro dash kit and metro wiring harness. I like it. Has everything but navi, but I have that on my phone. Not bad for $283 tax free and free shipping ;)

And if I had an iPhone it'd be even better. (Can stream netflix etc. straight to the screen of the Kenwood)

IMAG0689.jpg

Aafes. Military store online. I've seen em for around $300 in other places too though.

I bought one of those Chinese No Name Double Din Nav/Touchscreen players for mine, only cost like $200 something from Amazon. It's a cheapo, but it does what I need it to do and looks way better than having a stock unit in place. Plays DVD, MP3, NAV, also has a TV mode. Just recommend replacing your stock speakers too while you're at it.

Kenwood ddx418. I installed it in about an hour with the metro dash kit and metro wiring harness. I like it. Has everything but navi, but I have that on my phone. Not bad for $283 tax free and free shipping ;)

And if I had an iPhone it'd be even better. (Can stream netflix etc. straight to the screen of the Kenwood)

IMAG0689.jpg

That is a nice unit...if anyone's interested ebay has them new for $304 with a wiring harness.

IMAG0689.jpg

I'd be worried all the time someone would steal that! Bust your window, rip your dash apart and radio gone...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd be worried all the time someone would steal that! Bust your window, rip your dash apart and radio gone...

Full coverage insurance ;) lol

And it would take a lot of ripping and tearing to get that thing out without proper tools

Back