Fog/Driving lights bypass help.

Chris Harrach

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, Ga.
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Eddie Bauer 4WD
Good Morning all.
I know subject this has been gone over once before, but an update on this information would be helpful. I would like to know if anyone has RECENTLY done the bypass of their fog/driving lights relay, that allows the fog/driving lights to come on independently of the headlights. There was a very extensive 9 page thread on this, but the info was confusing as the participants all had different Explorers (Year, model, 2 dr or 4 door, etc....) and some of them wanted the lights to come on with the parking lights, and some wanted them to come on alone as daytime running lights. I have a 1997 EB Explorer, and I've located the relay under the air filter housing. What I'd like to know is if anyone has a similar Explorer to mine, and done this mod? Pictures and a clear cut way to do this, would be of immense help. (Knowing which wires to cut/splice and their respective colors, etc....) . Thanks in advance.:salute:

Chris Harrach.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good Morning all.
I know subject this has been gone over once before, but an update on this information would be helpful. I would like to know if anyone has RECENTLY done the bypass of their fog/driving lights relay, that allows the fog/driving lights to come on independently of the headlights. There was a very extensive 9 page thread on this, but the info was confusing as the participants all had different Explorers (Year, model, 2 dr or 4 door, etc....) and some of them wanted the lights to come on with the parking lights, and some wanted them to come on alone as daytime running lights. I have a 1997 EB Explorer, and I've located the relay under the air filter housing. What I'd like to know is if anyone has a similar Explorer to mine, and done this mod? Pictures and a clear cut way to do this, would be of immense help. (Knowing which wires to cut/splice and their respective colors, etc....) . Thanks in advance.:salute:

Chris Harrach.
I have a 96, I installed aftermarket fog lights. I just ran a wire fron a key on hot wire in the console to a seperate switch, then to the lights. I didn't fool with the factory wiring. Now I have NO PROBLEM.

This has been brought up before. For some reason my 99's fog lights came wired independently so I can turn them on with the parking lights. I'm not sure why some models do not have it like this.

Apparently Ford made the 99 models & up with independent fogs. The thing that had me confused on the earlier 9 page thread that covered this subject was that none of the participants seemed to come to a concensus as to what was the best way to do this modification. It seems that the wiring colors were different on various year models.

I have a 2000 and the fog lights only come on wiht the headlights, so it doesn't seem to be 99 and up...

:confused:Hmmmm...... The mystery continues it seems. I would really like to do this modification without doing any damage to the vehicle. I dont want to cut and splice something that's going to cause a problem in another area (headlights out on either side, parking lights out, etc...). Thats why I'd like to know what color wires need cutting & splicing.

You may want to check the motor vehicle laws in your state. In SC the driving lights may not be on with the high beams. I don't think it's enforced, but it is a law.....and the way my luck runs I'd get that one pissed off cop that pulls me over.

Fog/Dri bypass hlpving lights

You may want to check the motor vehicle laws in your state. In SC the driving lights may not be on with the high beams. I don't think it's enforced, but it is a law.....and the way my luck runs I'd get that one pissed off cop that pulls me over.

I know what you mean about the pissed off or "having a bad day" cop. Ive seen them here in Georgia. But I'm not trying to run the fog/driving lights with the high beams. Im more interested in just being able to turn them on independently from the headlights. Either with the side/parking lights, or without. However, this is a modification I'll have to keep on hold for a minute, as Im in the process of switching out my rack & pinion unit. (that is, as soon as the rain stops) :salute:

Back