1999 Mounty; Jumpy/Schitzo tachometer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1999 Mounty; Jumpy/Schitzo tachometer?

trellabor

Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Mounty 5.0L
I just recently got a 1999 Merc Mountaineer and I love it, but something (which I was told about by the seller) that annoys me more and more since I'm staring at the cluster is the tachometer will randomly work, and sometimes just sit at 0rpm even when I'm on the freeway. Sometimes I hit a bump, and it magically starts working again. The previous owner said it started happening around the time he took it into the dealer and they 'disconnected' the cruise control, for a recall(?) which he never ended up taking back to have repaired. Has anyone else with an Expo/Mounty had an issue like this? Thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

TTT, anyone? Sometimes if i hit a bump in the road it will 'start' or 'stop' working, depending on which is already happening. Also it seems that when i'm shifting into gear, it affects it working/not working also. Can the Tach itself be replaced?

I have the same problem and am wondering what the solution is as well. I've just gotten used to it and ignore it.

Same problem here as well and haven't solved it yet.

Its either a bad solder joint or bad tachometer stepper motor. This is a common problem on all makes and models nowemdays.
Dead digital odometers are also common, thankfully the 2nd gen has a mechanical odometer, its just our radio displays that die. :thumbsup:

Cluster repair places are all over, google search reveals many.

Its either a bad solder joint or bad tachometer stepper motor. This is a common problem on all makes and models nowemdays.
Dead digital odometers are also common, thankfully the 2nd gen has a mechanical odometer, its just our radio displays that die. :thumbsup:

Cluster repair places are all over, google search reveals many.

I ended up replacing the cluster with a white Sportrac unit so unfortunately I can't comment as to a solution but the Sportrac cluster is a direct fit and looks so much nicer.

yepp I already have the white face cluster came factory, but the tach has a personality of it' own works when it wants to only, which isn't very often.

Back