How common is the wheel bearing issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How common is the wheel bearing issue

fallguy44

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
F150
Hello all. I am looking at some used 3rd generation Explorers and some 06's as well. As part of my research I read a lot about the wheel bearing issues that these vehicles have and some that have that problem multiple times. The Explorers I have in mine are under 120k miles. I know I can do the fronts myself, but I don't have a set up to do the rears. So my questions are:

1: How common is this issue?
2: Is it a forgone conclusion, that I'll be replacing bearings?
3: Do 4th generation Explorers have the same problem?
4: What is an average price for a shop to do rear bearings?

I know there are some other issues such as transmissions but I really don't want to be replacing bearings as frequent as it seems they need replacing. Thanks all in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

........"Hello all. I am looking at some used 3rd generation Explorers and some 06's as well. As part of my research I read a lot about the wheel bearing issues that these vehicles have and some that have that problem multiple times. The Explorers I have in mine are under 120k miles. I know I can do the fronts myself, but I don't have a set up to do the rears. So my questions are:

1: How common is this issue? Depends on mileage. And usage. Driven over Alaska Highway repeatedly might kill more bearings. IMO, the issue becomes more common after piss-poor replacement bearings are installed, causing repeat failure.
2: Is it a forgone conclusion, that I'll be replacing bearings? No, not immediately.
3: Do 4th generation Explorers have the same problem? Dunno. Check a parts supplier.
4: What is an average price for a shop to do rear bearings?" Ditto. Don't cater to shops. imp

Since the 3rd generations are getting up in years and mileage I would say it's completely expected that bearings are needing to be replaced. My rears started making noise somewhere over 140,000 I think. I bought Timken bearings, removed my knuckles saving that labor and took them to a shop. The shop pressed mine in for an hour labor's cost (min they would charge). Quality bearings aren't that much more that eBay Chinese specials so if you buy quality bearings you shouldn't have to have them redone anytime soon.

On our '04 4x4 we have 123k miles and still have the front oe bearings. The rear bearings did go, and it is not cheap to have a shop do all of the work. Also, we have had no transmission issues at all. When you test drive one, run the a/c through all of its settings. There are issues with the plastic flap doors breaking, causing air to not flow out of either the defroster, heater, or a/c vents (each setting has its own flap door). Mine is stuck open when using defroster, but that means when we use heat it is sending a mixture of air flow to the defroster vent and the heater vents because the defroster flap door will not close. Fortunately my ac vents are working perfectly. If you can get maintenance records that is a huge plus. We maintain ours like crazy and it is giving us basically trouble free driving. Our son will be driving ours soon as his first vehicle.

Since it's winter where I am, and I don't have a garage, I've sent out my Exp. to get the rear bearings done. One shop did it two years ago for about $340, a different shop did the other one last month for $380. including parts. I did one front bearing, but that was also done because the ABS light was on. The other bearing to be done when the sun shines.
edit add, I'm about 128k miles

Hahahahahahah, oh.....serious?

Wheel bearings are a very common problem on the 3rd gen Explorers. Along with upper ball joints, timing failure and transmission failure.

I can't completely speak to the first 3 questions...I can say that between the 2 3rd gens I've had and my dad's 2005, each has had at least one rear wheel bearing replaced...dad's just had both done. Dad's '05 also had a front one replaced a few years back.

For the rears, each one cost about $400 including parts to replace at the local shop (not dealership). I can't remember what the cost was for the front one on dad's '05.

I can't completely speak to the first 3 questions...I can say that between the 2 3rd gens I've had and my dad's 2005, each has had at least one rear wheel bearing replaced...dad's just had both done. Dad's '05 also had a front one replaced a few years back.

For the rears, each one cost about $400 including parts to replace at the local shop (not dealership). I can't remember what the cost was for the front one on dad's '05.
@IIGood
Any idea what kind of mileage was involved? imp

I've only done 2 wheel bearings on my parents 05 the left front and the right rear.

they have owned it since 70,000 miles, it now has 145,000 miles on it.

I think if they are going out multiple times they either aren't putting in quality bearings or they aren't installed correctly.

I have access to an electric over hydraulic press so i was able to do the rear wheel bearing myself, but otherwise you can always disassemble the hub and take it to a machine shop or auto shop that has a press to have them press it out and back in and should only cost like 30 bucks for labor to do so and you can save a lot of money doing it that way.

also i think i used a timken bearing assembly for the front wheel and i put a national bearing in for the rear.

I try to only use timken, national or SKF.

but I have used some Precision brand bearings and those seem to have held up alright as well.

I've only done 2 wheel bearings on my parents 05 the left front and the right rear.

they have owned it since 70,000 miles, it now has 145,000 miles on it.

I think if they are going out multiple times they either aren't putting in quality bearings or they aren't installed correctly.

I have access to an electric over hydraulic press so i was able to do the rear wheel bearing myself, but otherwise you can always disassemble the hub and take it to a machine shop or auto shop that has a press to have them press it out and back in and should only cost like 30 bucks for labor to do so and you can save a lot of money doing it that way.
@Ford_Racing_Guy
I agree with you. 100,000 + miles is a helluva lot of miles for wheel bearings on a non-commercial vehical. Big trucks undoubtedly routinely go 5 times that or more. They MUST. Their bearings are gigantic in comparision. Hold up a bridge with a toothpick, or rather 2X4?

Fronts are easier than rears, for the do it yourselfer. I've done both, and liked the option of easily releasing rear ball joints. imp

@Ford_Racing_Guy
I agree with you. 100,000 + miles is a helluva lot of miles for wheel bearings on a non-commercial vehical. Big trucks undoubtedly routinely go 5 times that or more. They MUST. Their bearings are gigantic in comparision. Hold up a bridge with a toothpick, or rather 2X4?

Fronts are easier than rears, for the do it yourselfer. I've done both, and liked the option of easily releasing rear ball joints. imp

yes truck bearings go an unreal amount of time, but the size etc yes they are somewhat bigger. Most are oil-bath bearings which i think seems to help with heat etc and its routinely getting fresh lube etc. I've changed quite a few of those in some instances like if the seals leak and they run out of oil and wreck the bearings etc. but if they run with no issues its unreal how long bearings will last in high load situations.

@IIGood
Any idea what kind of mileage was involved? imp

For my dad's 2005, it has 90K on it now and the rears were just done. I can't remember the mileage when the front one was done, but it was probably about 5 years ago. He bought that Explorer new and it just doesn't get much road time now...it's his second vehicle as he has a Fusion Hybrid for his daily commute.

As far as mine...the current Explorer had the one rear bearing replaced at 168K. The previous Explorer I owned had over 320K on it when it needed one of the rears replaced, though I'm not sure if that was the first time it was needed.

The OE bearings have been known to go out at 40k miles. They can also last over 100k.

I've done both my fronts, and both times I didn't notice something until it's too late. And no one seems to mention it. What about that 'thing' on the back of the factory old hub, it appears to keep water out of the axel and hub at the back side. It pries off the old hub. "3K070" http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/CatalogResults.aspx?y=2002&m=Ford&mo=Explorer#Search
Click on the HUB 67, see the illustration.
I'm not sure what the 3K070 is. When I click on it there's no data returned.

It wasn't there when I'd did my '04. Also, the hub unit is sealed, so I'm not sure what the benefit of the item would be.

I do see a front wheel seal available (NAPA 19223 OD 2.582" ID 1.938") but I don't recall seeing this when I did my hubs.

I've done both my fronts, and both times I didn't notice something until it's too late. And no one seems to mention it. What about that 'thing' on the back of the factory old hub, it appears to keep water out of the axel and hub at the back side. It pries off the old hub. "3K070" http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/CatalogResults.aspx?y=2002&m=Ford&mo=Explorer#Search
Click on the HUB 67, see the illustration.

that's part of the rear seal (dust sheild) is the old design, the redesigned seal has that built in and you need to take that off before putting in the new redesigned seal.

Rear seal?? This is on the fronts -- the Napa part is not it. And my parts supplier shows no seal, or they just don't know where to look it up on their parts catalog. The new part had no seal with it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you sure looking at the front hub? that part is for the rear only and it's not even for the hub, it's for the seal on the diff.

Part Number Part Description Price Your Price Availability Quantity
3K070

FordGenuineParts.gif

CV Joint Axle Shaft Dust Shield

$11.28

Back