• Register Today It's free!

Wheel bearing issues.

Medellin

Reaction score
City, State
Oceanside,CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 Explorer Limited
Hello, here I am again seeing of anyone can help me. I have a 05 Explorer limited 2WD that is giving me a headache. In 09, i took it to the dealerships
because grinding noise,the dealership told me it was the wheel bearing that were loose; they fixed it. Now the grinding is back! I took the wheel off and attempted to retighten the hub bearing... it is tight as hell, so heres my question, where and how can i tighten the wheel bearings? i have the manual and it says nothing about wheel bearings.
Thanks for the help.

Mario

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've moved your thread into the stock 2002-2005 section. Never make a wheel bearing super tight! The bearing should be snug enough so that there is no play, but not tight enough that you have trouble turning the wheel.

I'm going to have to say that you might have another bad wheel bearing. The torque normally on something like that is in the range of around 150ft lbs. Anything tighter and you are putting too much pressure against the hub.

My 05 had the same problem. I got about 12,000 miles out of the "new" bearing. Mine was the left rear.

These are pressed in wheel bearings that cannot be "adjusted" . This thread tells how to replace:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=251915

In some cases people that have had the wheel bearings replaced find that they fail early in which case they need to have the bearing and wheel hub (the part that the wheel bolts onto) replaced as well. In some extreme cases, the entire knuckle (the part that the bearing is pressed into) may also need to be changed.

Back