• Register Today It's free!

LIGHT OFF ROAD 2017 XLT EXPLORER

larry fuller

Reaction score
City, State
sparks nv
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 xlt
Hey Explorers-Newbie here from Reno Nevada.
Time to replace my Chevy Silverado 4x4 after 210k miles and i really dont use a truck bed much.
Started looking at SUV after renting an explorer-ended up close to buying a 2019 Traverse but cant find hardly ANYONE who takes one 'off road'.
For me that's gravel, dirt, into a field 2-3 times a year. NO serious off roading. the rented explorer i tried went wherever i wanted it to. It seems maybe the multiple AWD modes in an explorer make it a better choice?
Or is it because its been available longer? Or chevy owners are wimpier?

Help please from some folks with Off road experience?
Back to Explorer/Expedition i think with several 2017 used ones available in both models.
Thanks in advance
Larry in Reno

It will do more than you think, tires and underbody protection that are the places it need to be addressed or use caution. It is no rock crawler but it will certainly do more than hauling kids & groceries :)

Hey Explorers-Newbie here from Reno Nevada.
Time to replace my Chevy Silverado 4x4 after 210k miles and i really dont use a truck bed much.
Started looking at SUV after renting an explorer-ended up close to buying a 2019 Traverse but cant find hardly ANYONE who takes one 'off road'.
For me that's gravel, dirt, into a field 2-3 times a year. NO serious off roading. the rented explorer i tried went wherever i wanted it to. It seems maybe the multiple AWD modes in an explorer make it a better choice?
Or is it because its been available longer? Or chevy owners are wimpier?

Help please from some folks with Off road experience?
Back to Explorer/Expedition i think with several 2017 used ones available in both models.
Thanks in advance
Larry in Reno
Welcome to the Forum Larry.:wave:
There are a few threads on the topic. The Forum has a useful 'Search' feature (upper right) that can be used to find various topics. Not much that hasn't already been discussed in the 8 years the 5th gen has been out.
Off Road Experience With 5th Gen Explorer !
how is a 2011+ 4wd perform off-road in Sand?
X offroad experience
Off Road Video
Anyone gone off-roading with a 2011?

Peter

Back