Off road capabilities of 5th gen. Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Off road capabilities of 5th gen. Explorer

thenry82

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 Suburban
I'm looking to buy a 2011 Explorer Limited w/ 4wd. As far as I know, everything is stock. My husband is concerned about its off road capabilities bc we live up hill on a dirt road. I have a suburban now & often have to kick it into 4wd to get through the loose sand. Can any help?! Anyone use their 4wd often or have experience with it? I want this car!!! Lol thanks!!

I'm looking to buy a 2011 Explorer Limited w/ 4wd. As far as I know, everything is stock. My husband is concerned about its off road capabilities bc we live up hill on a dirt road. I have a suburban now & often have to kick it into 4wd to get through the loose sand. Can any help?! Anyone use their 4wd often or have experience with it? I want this car!!! Lol thanks!!
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
Although the Explorer has a 4WD badge it is actually an AWD vehicle. There are threads on that discussion. You may be interested in the following thread;http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=379958&highlight=road
Some links do not appear to be functional any more but there are a few videos you can check out. The Limited has a Terrain Management System (TMS) that can be used to select various condition in which you may find yourself. The Ex sits lower than the Suburban as well so keep that in mind.
Check out the spare tire compartment for signs of water/moisture. One of the issues the 5th generation had, especially the early models, was water leaks. There is a long thread on that issue.

Peter

I have found the AWD system to be excellent in rainy conditions. Haven't done much off-road with mine, but it sounds like it should be fine just getting up to your house. If you have any issues with traction, a different tire would probably solve the problem.

The badging is correct, its "Limited" but capable of dirt roads etc. As long as this road isn't 10" deep mud when it rains or full of massive ruts etc :)

Back