Emergency tranny and engine swap 96 to 99 | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Emergency tranny and engine swap 96 to 99

I truly hope you can forgive the run away and still be inclined to offer your wisdom.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Underneath Red(99).
20190810_223807.jpg
Left side to right front
20190810_224252.jpg
under Red front closer
20190810_224611.jpg

Left
20190810_224351.jpg

Closer
20190810_224558.jpg

And that's all for front left
20190810_224423.jpg

Right/up (these are all of Red) LB (96)coming tonight or tomorrow morning.)
20190810_224440.jpg
20190810_224651.jpg

Moven down
20190810_224611.jpg

And done for the Right.
One more underneath of back nothing in between.
20190810_224827.jpg

Rear under
20190810_224717.jpg

Sorry guess more total
Last underneath this one is a panoramic from left to right you'll need to zoom in and I would start looking from right to left. Can you guys even download these?(note in there.)
artflow_201908111342.jpg

20190810_224839.jpg

Right/up (these are all of Red) LB (96)coming tonight or tomorrow morning.) View attachment 172716 View attachment 172717
Moven down View attachment 172718
And done for the Right.
One more underneath of back nothing in between. View attachment 172720
Rear under
View attachment 172721
Sorry guess more total
Last underneath this one is a panoramic from left to right you'll need to zoom in and I would start looking from right to left. Can you guys even download these?(note in there.)
View attachment 172723

Something got screwed up but they are all there. . Be back ran out of time

Something got screwed up but they are all there. . Be back ran out of time
That 99 looks clean. You're almost better off finding a V8 junker and swapping that into it. Pretty much a bolt in swap. It was be easier to V8 swap that truck with the proper donor truck than it would be to swap all the v6 stuff from that 96 into it.

But it's a V6 too? It's 5he same truck really XLT just younger.

AND THANK YOU FOR THE COMPLIMENT!!!

But it's a V6 too? It's 5he same truck really XLT just younger.

AND THANK YOU FOR THE COMPLIMENT!!!

agreed with koda2000, converting a 99 auto to a manual transmission is not something you can do in that short amount of time and given your abilities. It is rather involved process to get a 5 speed in the 99 truck, you do not even have the parts you need like the 8 bolt flywheel for the 99 engine to convert from flexplate to flywheel.
I'm sorry but that is an un realistic goal!!
Now to remove the entire drivetrain from the 96 and install into the 99, that is a bit more realistic, but it is also very involved. The entire wiring harness & computer, exhaust system, fuel system, pedal assemblies, everything must be changed over. The 96 truck uses a return style fuel system, the 99 is returnless. The more you think about it, there is just no way you can pull this off in a week let alone 2 days and 2 nights! Sorry to break it to you this way but I am guessing this is why you came here to get this answer.

Now if you were down here in the lower 48 we may be able to band together and get you some help, not sure we have enough EF Alaskans in your village to pull this off. What part of Alaska are you in?
Your land lord sounds like a real piece of work
Actually the pedal assemblies are the same.

How I know is 1st: my clutch fell off right where they welded it, I Tap n Died put a locking bolt and lubed it with JB weld a hair tie to replace the stupid plastic basket that attached to the Clutch master cylendar and safety switch back on the clutch pedal and fastened it with an clamping office supply (black box thing with folding metal wings? Whatever it worked) then driving my break switch popped apart, went to steal the one on the 99, yes it didn't match up HOWEVER, I cut the whole harness off of both and hard wired the brake switch and WALLA! break lights, so the P Arts are interchangeable with a little ingenuity.;):):p

I could take 99s assembly and tap die it also, I found on Amazon another assembly 4 100$ so I could also do that.

I only have 1000$ to spend swapping this tho so all of these suggestions are helping me to formulate my plan and where all the money is going.

I apologize for not getting back to you Guys sooner kid issues. Its dark right now but in a hr I can get pics of LB for all this scheming and plotting.

But here is the rest of Red(99). Under the hood.

And moving forward towards the left
20190810_233429.jpg

With...
20190810_233444.jpg

And then getting to the money shot ;).... Almost...
20190810_233600.jpg

And the part with the oil...

20190810_233451.jpg
:confused:

Right in there....
Screenshot_20190810-233550_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20190810-233747_Gallery.jpg

Pulls out.....
20190810_233643.jpg

o_O:thumbsup:
20190810_233846.jpg

And (it was kind of hard to get my finger far enough holding a phone but)...
20190810_233855.jpg

K now some "Cat" who helped me change out my water pump first put HIS in her and he had a nice amount on his finger. HE ALSO was the one that said it was blown.... Thinking now he may have been talking out his pooter.

K last but not least I have the ignition to deal with also....
20190810_232356.jpg

I'm down to 7 weeks now to get me and the kiddos and swapped out trucks down the Alcan and through Canada before snow hits.

Oh one more left side of engine..
20190810_233403.jpg

K. Soooo (1 truck that is.)
How do I figure out what may be wrong with this engine? Any way at all?

And can I rebuild my Transfer case? Should I just get one from the junk yard? OR just put the broke one in and drive in 2 wheel drive..?

Thank you for helping me! :rolleyes::dpchug::):rolleyes::D

Will be back with Lightning Bolts pics sometime today.  :wave:
(The 96)
Promise.
Den your friend :snicker: sorry about that my bad...  (I'm tired 4am here) o_O

To put the 96 drivetrain into the 99 truck is not just a simple engine and trans change over

You have to swap the fuel lines and the fuel tank too (99 has one fuel line, 96 has two)
You have to swap the pedal assemblies to go from 99 auto to 96 clutch
You have to swap the entire wiring harness, not just the drivetrain harness but the under hood power wiring as well because the 99 also uses a different power distribution box and components
The 99 uses a different instrument cluster (digital signals) and some of the wires moved locations, so you have to swap those and change the wiring around

That is just off the top of my head without being there, this is a major project, It would be easier to swap the 99 body onto the 96 frame and use the 99 springs to fix the lean

You must be in a larger city up there, good luck with whatever you decide
If you are crazy enough to attempt this then EF would be crazy enough to help, but we also offer sane advice :)

HI!!!! I missed this idea, this was what I was originally trying to do but then plans changed, and ironically I was pulling the whole wiring harness out b4 the Landlord turned into a jerk.

So LB (96) beat up pretty good but which way would be cheaper?
Take body of 99 fix 96 cuz I will have to do gaskets and lubes and all that and rebuild my TC if that is at all possible. Been driving with it broke since April.

Plus the wiring in LB(96) is going. My driver side window doesn't roll up now at all.

Speedometer never worked I go by my RPMS and well he truly is about to poo out on me.

Maybe I could find another one for 1,000?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Im so lost
We don't even know what you are trying to do anymore
Your plans have changed many times in as many days

What are you trying to do?
$100 budget will not even buy you the fluids
When I said the pedals were different I meant one truck is a manual and one is a auto so you have to take the pedals with the transmission, along with the wiring and plumbing
But now I go back and read and I am not even sure what you are trying to do anymore
It is quite entertaining though! Makes me want to move to Alaska

Back