• Register Today It's free!

Sunroof Leak Repair

racer_x_one

Reaction score
City, State
PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
So I decided to take advantage of the nice day today and do a quick fix on my leaky sunroof to get me by till spring. After removing the haedliner I could see that it was leaking from the pass front corner. U can see the corrosion in the first pic.
12.jpg

There are a total of 22 screws with a torx head holding the SR in via retaining bars (for lack of a better term). Eight across the front and back and three along each side. You can see them in the next two pics.
15.jpg

14.jpg

After removing the torx screws and popping off the 4 drain tubes the SR can be removed. In the 2nd pic you can see were it was leaking.
10.jpg

9.jpg

6.jpg

In the following pics is the SR fram and the 3M window sealer I used. Also a close up of the corner that leaked. The screw in that corner by the drain snaped off while tring to remove it.
7.jpg

13.jpg

8.jpg

After cleaning the fram I painted it and hung it out to dry.
5.jpg

Here is the roof with a bead of the window tape down ready for the fram to be droped in.
3.jpg

After dropping in the fram I reattached it via the retaining bars and torx screws. I also reattached the drain tubes. Now before you laugh too hard...I know its in backwards. I did that on pupose. Being that the screw closest to the corner broke I was a little worried it may not seal properly and leak there again. So I spun it around to keep that corner down stream (I park on a slit slope, nose up) and I plan on taking it back out in the spring to redo it better/right along with my windshield that also has a small leak.
2.jpg

1.jpg

Well that's interesting... I didn't know there were drain tubes on the sun roof. I'll have to look at mine. It's leaking a little... but only in a hard rain.

Well that's interesting... I didn't know there were drain tubes on the sun roof. I'll have to look at mine. It's leaking a little... but only in a hard rain.

It could be that one or more of your tubes is clogged. You could try running a thin wire down the tube from the sunroof before you go taking the headliner out. If you find that they are clear then you'll have to take the HL out for a closer inspection.

I liked the presentation, I have this problem. Thank you.

Back