• Register Today It's free!

91 Exp. Rear Brakes Bleeding?

dpschmidt

Reaction score
City, State
Bradenton, Fl.
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 xlt
I blew out a brake cyl the other day and I have now replaced both LH & RH brake cyl. but I cannot get fluid back to the cyls. even with a vacula....

I do not have a strong pedal but does not really feel like the rears are working....

Any Suggestions?

Thanks

You need to get a helper and have them step on the brake.

1) open bleeder
2) have helper step on the brake and keep it down
3) close bleeder
4) have helper let up the brake
5) check fluid level in Master Cylinder.
6) Repeat above until clear fluid with not bubbles is achieved.

I have a vacuum bleeder thing, but it works much faster with a helper.

Can also be done by yourself if you can't find someone to help. Get yourself a clear jar, I use a mayonaise jar. Fill it about 1 or 2 inches high with clean brake fluid and attach your bleeder hose to the rim of the jar so the end of the hose is submersed in the brake fluid. Open bleeder valve, and commence to pumping the brake pedal 3 or 4 times. Stop and check the level in the master cylinder, and top it off. Then back to pumping the pedal another 3 or 4 times. Eventually you'll see dirty fluid flowing into the jar, then clean fluid with bubbles, then just clean brake fluid without bubbles. Remember to stop and top off the master cylinder, you don't want to bleed it dry and create a whole 'nuther set of problems. When it's finally clean, go back and close the bleeder valve. This method can be used to bleed all 4 wheels as you can see the jar from the driver's side while depressing the brake pedal by hand and peering underneath the vehicle to see when the air bubbles have stopped. Just remember not to bleed the master cylinder dry, and don't stop bleeding the wheel until it flows consistently with no air bubbles.

I had a similar problem on my 91 and what I had to do was get a hose clamper to completely close off the rubber hose coming down to the rear axle. It turned out when I did that my pedal got real firm. It turned out that the inside of my rubber hose was swelling and bleeding off my brake pressure. I suggest trying to close off the rear and see if the pedal firms up. My rubber line felt nice and hard and showed no signs of what was going on. I couldn't bleed my rear either.

Back