• Register Today It's free!

what makes a sport a sport

mcG

Reaction score
City, State
Pennsauken, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Sport
i mean, what is the difference between a sport and other explorers like XLT or Eddie Bauer?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Two less doors :cool::thumbsup:

..and a V6 only. I think only sport's were available with a stick too, but not exactly sure.

a stick would make this slow ass ohv motor maybe have some life

The sport package was a package exclusive to the 2dr explorers. Basically it included black bumpers and a color matched grill and I beleive thats it. There are are 2dr XLs out there, I have only seen a few but they catch me by suprise. They have the chrome bumpers and grill and the rear hatch pillars are painted to match the body. All sports from 91-01 where available with 5spds, I've owned two and my current one is a 5spd. 5spds where also available in the 4drs up until 2001 I beleive, but they where very rare to see after 94. Personally I've one seen 2nd gen 4dr with a 5spd.

A sport is more sporty.....Hello-Everyone knows that

ChopinOn22s said:
..and a V6 only. I think only sport's were available with a stick too, but not exactly sure.

chopin

the sports came in stickshift also

2 Door Explorers came in XL, Eddie Bauer and Sport models. I would say 95% of 2 doors are Sports.

The sport is equivalent to the 4 door XLT model, with some features the XL doesn't have.

As Doug said, it had exclusive trim(Bumpers, grille painted black, side molding had a colored stripe in it) also.

Doug, I have the Explorer XL 2dr Sport.... :D Your right not alot of them! It's got the chrome grill, chrome bumpers, & chrome rear side panels... hatch pillars are painted like you said (always wondered why mine were and others weren't). It also came with the side Ground effects or rocker panels what ever you wanna call them...also painted to match. It came w/ M5OD manual trans and tow package..(hence thicker leafs -vs- most sports are mono). :p

XLT's are standard 4-door, power windows, power locks
EB's are all leather, moonroof, power everything...so on
as far as what the 'sport package' actually entails...no idea

If your Explorer has "XL" on the rear, it is NOT a Sport in any form. It is a 2 door XL.

99% of all XL's have the rear gate beams painted.....I think it looks better than the fading black metal ones all the other Explorers have...

So...then does anyone know the difference in specs between the 2dr XL and the 2dr sport ??? I always just assumed since it was 2dr it was considered a sport :fire: Crankcase your right about the painted pillars...glad I don't have to worry bout mine fading...those look like S$%TTTT. No offense to those with fading hatch pillars :p

The Sport has always had a different trim package than the XL. I had a '93 Sport and can't remember what that entailed, but I do remember it had an upgraded intererior and some exterior enchancements as well. In the 2nd generation, the Sport came with nerf bars, that distinctive grey accenting, standard 16" wheels among others. XL has always been the entry level in the Explorer line, both 2 and 4 door.

Like all the different packages Ford puts on thier cars there are many differences. And with ford sometimes it seems even having a different package doesn't necesarily gauruntee you anything. :confused: You can get a sport like mine with only a 5spd, AC and all the other standard features. Or you can get a same year sport with leather, CD player, autotrans, overhead console etc etc etc. Also the eddie bauer edition 2dr was only available till 92 or 93.

Doug said:
Like all the different packages Ford puts on thier cars there are many differences. And with ford sometimes it seems even having a different package doesn't necesarily gauruntee you anything. :confused: You can get a sport like mine with only a 5spd, AC and all the other standard features. Or you can get a same year sport with leather, CD player, autotrans, overhead console etc etc etc. Also the eddie bauer edition 2dr was only available till 92 or 93.

True about that Doug. My 92 Sport has auto transmission, sunroof, AC, power everything (doors, windows, side mirrors) and for some strange reason .....no roofrack :confused:

I think the real difference is the little plastic emblem stuck to the back that says "SPORT".

AND.... Dont forget the lovely, USELESS canvas bag for a 'console'!!! (Usually missing in used ones including mine,...but avail. at Ford for only $175 !!!!)

mctoy said:
AND.... Dont forget the lovely, USELESS canvas bag for a 'console'!!! (Usually missing in used ones including mine,...but avail. at Ford for only $175 !!!!)

Unless you get the full length console. Which isn't available on any 5 speeds. You could get a 5 speed in any 2-door. Except possibly the Expedition. I've see a few around here that have suprised me to have a 5 speed in them. Its weird how the Sport had black bumpers and color matched grille, yet the lower model had chrome bumpers and a chrome grille. Doesn't make sense to me. I guess they though it would make it sportier?

SoBeLover said:
True about that Doug. My 92 Sport has auto transmission, sunroof, AC, power everything (doors, windows, side mirrors) and for some strange reason .....no roofrack :confused:

I am in the same boat....The police ordered the power options and A/C in a Base model, but left off the roofrack.:D

Prozachappy:

I think most Sports had options like dual visors and dual maplights in them. The sunroof also seemed popular for Sports.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

mctoy said:

Actually I like that little bag, kinda wish mine had it.
But $175 for replacement? WTF!

Crankcase said:
I am in the same boat....The police ordered the power options and A/C in a Base model, but left off the roofrack.:D

Prozachappy:

I think most Sports had options like dual visors and dual maplights in them. The sunroof also seemed popular for Sports.

It's really funny to hear about all the differences here about the "Sport" model and the options that it could/would come with, and blending that info with the info I have gathered for the Navajo, which "only" came in 2dr, and as far as I know came in 3 trim levels the base Navajo and then DX and LX.

The easiest way to tell the difference from the base/DX from the LX is the fender flares/body color window pillars.

But yet as for the XL and regular Sports I have seen quite a few here that run around with and wo/chrome and body color window pillars.

And from what I can tell you can/could have a 5spd in whatever you want as I have seen them in everything from ST's to EB's ranging from 1st and 2nd gens, with 2drs. and 4drs.
Guess it was all in which little box was checked when you special ordered you vehicle.

BTW, some pics woulf be nice guys.

Jeff - :navajo:

Back