5.0 swap poll | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.0 swap poll

Do you have a 5.0 swap or plans for a 5.0 swap?

• Completed 5.0 swap?

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Have one in progress?

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • Planning one in the future?

Votes: 34 58.6%
  • What's a 5.0?

Votes: 14 24.1%

• Total voters
i wander why no one has persued a 4.2 ford swap. i had an f150 with 4.2 and littleraly smoke 350 chevies. a guy in a z71 passed me on an entrance ramp on teh interstate recently i dropped it in 3rd, shifted to 4th at 80 mph, 5th at 100 and got his plate number then passed him and took the next exit. also father in law has 305 chevy and cant believe the 4.2 has as much umph as it does - more than his. the difference also might be that is a 5speed.

pass emmissions? whats that? --- florida=no vehicle inspection :)

i like the 4.3 esp in the s10 trucks i think its a great motor. a guy in out club swapped in a 4.3 drivetrain into his Zuk - he can smoke he tires. its great.

you are right i wander why no one has dropped in a 350?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh trust me it has been done :)

4.3L drivetrain look like it would fit in an Explorer nicely :) and the Gen I Explorer could probably accept it and interface with the trucks electronics, fuel, ignition, cruise, etc etc...... :)

the I-6 Ford engine is really really really long, difficult to fit...
the 3.8L SC has been done with great success into a Ranger, but hes a prerunner and ended up moving the motor back about 18" into the cab.
The 2.3L T or SVO conversion I have seen in alot of 2wd Rangers, I think that would be alot of fun to play with too...

350 in explorer? or just "done" in general?

ryan dropped his explorer body onto a f250 frame with 300 in it. i think he pounded the firewall with a sledge hammer to get it to fit.

i remember the 3.8 convo but cant imagine going down to a 2.3 in an ex? too heavy... would cause excessive wear on a small motor with big tires and high output - IMO.

i considered a 318drivetrain swap or even a 360. jeep grand cherokee is a dinky little rig yet they get those shoehorned in them and they have plenty of pep to them. efi with lots of power - driverside output tcase. seems ideal to me.

I'd go w/ the 351 swap. It wouldn't be too expensive in the future to swap to EFI. For now, I'd use the carbed 351. If you could find a cheap, used offroad carb, that would be ideal.

yeah i was going to look into that. its got a holley that needs rebuilt but i have a 4bbl 600cfm edelbrock that should fit on there nicely.

do you know who makes a good offroad carb?

carter makes a good carb for everything.

318 or 360 in a Grand Cherokee is a TIGHT fit, VERY difficult to work on.
5.0L is tight enough in an Explorer for me.....but I have seen a 460 in a BII so anything is possible.....

I realize this is an ancient post, but my question is for 410.
What is the primary difference between the explorer 5.0 and the mustang 5.0 HO as far as the swap goes?

By the way I voted yes, but know It may never happen in this life time.

Thought about it.

Better get a solid axle.
New tranny and t-case.
Wiring.....wow.
All new guages.

Forget it. I'm gonna drive my ex untill it blows up. Then I will leave it where the tranny died, and buy a bronco with a 4 speed and a 5.0, and a solid. And start again. I have so much $$$$ into my truck I can't sell it.

The HO Mustang engine is OBD-I, it is torqued for a car not a 4x4 truck, it uses the non serpentine front dress, the intake is on the wrong side, the heads are not GT-40, etc etc etc. Its alot different.
We put a EFI HO engine into a 93 Explorer 4x4, not fun.
Ended up using a AOD-E trans with Bauman tranny controller, also swapping the heads, cam, and front dress to the serpentine. All in all you are WAY better off starting with a 5.0L Explorer donor, makes it fit ALOT easier, much better end result too....the 5.0L Explorer engine is a GREAT engine, alredy has alot of the parts you need to make it fit, get the power you want for a 4x4.

How many 1st gen. owners need to upgrade the OHV, or the A4LD? For trucks in great condition(body, interior), not for major offroading, my project could be duplicated.

I have a 93 Limited 4x4 that needs chassis work, before major problems. I started last summer looking for a donor vehicle. In November I found a rolled 99 Limited 4x4 for $1500. It basically needs a good body, exactly what my 93 has.

I am about to pull the 99 body off, and bring the 93 home, to do the same. I will use as much of the 99 dash, wiring, AC, and under hood parts as possible. I will seriously consider cutting and swapping the firewalls, to make the swap easier.

One of these days I will get on CarDomain.com and post some pictures. I am also looking hard for a BW4410 AWD transfer case for the 99. Any help finding one would be appreciated. Good luck all,
DonW

Sweet project! I wouldnt be surprised if you find the 93 body fits the 99 frame easier then you thought :)

93 with IFS :)

I kicked the idea around but decided that I can build a 4.0 was enough hp to keep me happy and keep the venerable 4.0/M5OD/BW 1354 combo and soon to have a doubler. This great combo has never done me wrong.

NOTAJP said:
I kicked the idea around but decided that I can build a 4.0 was enough hp to keep me happy and keep the vernable 4.0/M5OD/BW 1354 combo and soon to have doubler. This combo has never done me wrong.
Vernable? what do that mean?

Venerable (excuse the hell out of me. Work is tough and my fingers are tired)

deff: Commanding respect by virtue of age, dignity, character, or position.

I.E. Tried and true....

NOTAJP said:
Venerable (excuse the hell out of me. Work is tough and my fingers are tired)

deff: Commanding respect by virtue of age, dignity, character, or position.

I.E. Tried and true....
Thats cool, my blow and go guys name is Vern, the old sqawe asks me , can Vern trim the Olive tree, I ck it out, tell her, Ya thats Vernable.
Thought maybe Vern was scabbin some side work for you, no harm intended.

ill post pics when i actually get it in but i decided what to do about my motor mounts... the motor mounts are welded to the engine crossmember which is riveted to the frame. im going to chizel off the rivets and install the crossmember with motor mounts straight into the ex.i can even leave it bolted to the motor when i mocking it up so that i can determine where to put the final placement. looking ot drop in motor in 2 weeks. work and weather keep playing against me.

Poll closed to stop poll spammers....you CAN still reply to the thread though.

Back