• Register Today It's free!

Modulator Valve

rponson

Reaction score
City, State
Pensacola, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Limited
I suspect I have a bad Modulator Valve on my 93 Exporer. The manual implied that this was mounted on the transmition. I think I found it on the top of the engine but ths instructions are poor where can I find a better explaination

If you are referring to the vacuum modulator for the transmission (which would affect shifts and also allow ATF to be sucked into the engine and burned) it is located on the passenger side of the transmission, at the back end of the heat shield... but I'm curious if this is what you are referring to. What makes you think you have a bad modulator?

Lots of pics of it and the transmission in the "My A4LD Rebuild Diary" in the Useful threads forum.

Anyway here is a picture, it is the brass colored "cannister thing" under the blue painted stud...and behind the back end of the heat shield. (Remember THIS pic was taken of a trannie out of the car so we are looking down on it, you would be looking UP from underneath)

15286heat_shield.jpg

if you are replacing, remove the panel under the carpet near center console area, this is alot easier than trying to squeeze your hands in between the cat, and the tranny, it is held in place with one bolt

How do you know if it is a problem.Mine started with staying in 1st too long.Now it will not go into OD at hwy speeds.....1 2 3 seem fine....just no OD now.

Back