C4/C5/C6 Swap? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

C4/C5/C6 Swap?

hmm... maybe I'll have to try comin up with a way to hook mine up, maybe that's part of my problem.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I did hook mine up, just not perfectly. It will work fine the way it is now.

Update: Linkage put together along with B&M sport shifter. Now all we gotta do is hook up the exhaust, put in a few plugs here and there, fill it with fluid, then fire it up. :D
Nothing like a 3 day wheelin trip on a virgin transmission/t-case, eh? :eek: :p

Flip the lever on the C5 upside down. Drill a hole in the A4LD kickdown cable end. Insert it on the bar, and use a "C" clip. If the floor board is to close, use a hammer. I actually shortened the kickdown lever, but you don't have to.

If you don't use the kickdown cable, just shift to second manually when passing. No big deal either way. I rarely used the kickdown even though it was hooked up. My brother (current owner) doesn't either.

Brian..doesn't the cable have to be 'anchored' with a bracket so the cable end will work? I think all my issues are solved except for that. Still pondering the best way to hook that dog up... I flipped the gear shift lever upside down by taking the valve body off and taking the shift shaft off and rotating it so that the lever points down. At that point, I cannibalized the old gear shift lever off the a4ld and will weld it onto the short, squat lever of the C5. Then I took the old bracket that held the explorer cable to that lever and welded a piece of 3/8 under it. End result is the exact 9" of distance between the cable holding poing and the end of the cable. (the stock explorer setup). I will post some pictures later....

In the end, I will only be missing gear selection 1 on the dash display. Everything else will fall into place in the appropriate gear.

Yeah, the cable is anchored up where it was. I don't really recall, but whatever it was origianlly anchored to it still is. I can't remember if its a bracket or what, but its up there still. There is an adjustment on the firewall to get it to kick at the right point. it took me a few tries to get it just right even thought its supposed to be self adjusting.

It runs!!!
We spun it 'round the block a few times tonight.

Shifts nice and firm.

well, it's been a long time since we put the C4 in and I just thought I'd give a little update.

the C4 is such a great transmission. it shifts very nicely. no mushy shifting at all. top speed is no issue for me since it's kinda scary to go over 65 anyhow, so that's pretty much how fast I take it. it handles the speed very well. at 65mph it pushes about 31-3200 rpm. the fluid is a perfect pink-red still and smells clean. no leaks at all. overall about 500000% better than the a4ld. I love it!! :D :thumbsup:
if anyone has questions about the swap, shoot me an email

I know this is Old thread, but great info!!!

You may not have the rig anymore if like me don't keep things long, but how long did it hold up? Any issues?

Back