How can I make my explorer horny?

flyguy

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Gilbert, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'07 XLT V8
What horns are availible for our rides? Which ones are the best? The only ones I can remember seeing are by hella. So whats involved in upgrading to a new one? I need something to wake those people sleeping at green lights.

nick

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the hella air horns are NOT good for our explorers, my friend put some on his jeep, they are high pitched and wussy. im looking for some good horns myself, a big rig horn kit would be nice, that would wake people up!!

Well, first you walk up to it and run your hand lightly along its fender and go "Hey baby, ya feelin lucky tonite?, cuz Big Poppa is here now..." LOL :D

MONOCHROMOUS, I'll give you 10 dollars for those 4 Ford speakers :D Eh, whaddya say?

You know, my dad has a bunch of huge semi air horns that he took off his service trucks and they're just laying around, I could rig one of those things up as long as I could get a compressor....You could prolly find stuff like that in a junkyard that has some semis or big rigs.

the problem with the air horns, is that for a deep sound, you need the horns to be 2-3 feet long. So there are only a select few places that they can be mounted on the explorer with out looking stupid.

The only place I can think of is between the frame and the body, under the driverside or passenger door. you could fab up some kind of mount to the frame to keep them hidden from view.

heh... well... I dont need a cannon mounted to my explorer.. just something louder than what Ive got.

nick

hey man, i would love those 2-3 foot horns, that would make mine pretty horny! i would put a few chrome ones right up there on my roof!

eh, $10 is a little low for the speakers, but ill keep you in mind if no one else wants them ;)

Man, all I wanted was a horn... and I get killer cars.

as soon as i read that post, i went down and turned that movie on. great! those are the horns you need man, me too!! and maybe some glass like his too!

Alrite Bob, you think about it awhile, but I just got 20 dollars from my sister so I'll offer that to ya, so then you'll at least be getting 5 per speaker :D

I think Performance Products has Hella horns that just install using the factory stuff, theres two of them and they are red and black, they dont require a compressor, and they put out like 130 decibels or so, I dunno, I'll have to look.

yeah which one is better? Are they better than stock?

95Explorer, be careful with those Hella horns, my friend with a J**P bought those exact ones, and they sound like a Yugo horn or something, it high pitched and whiny, i wouldnt get them for the Explorer, but its up to you...

I know Hadley makes a set of those huge air horns like you see on the rigs and they are really loud too.

Goto the jumkyard and find an old Caddy or a Buick Electra Wagon. The horns on those are like a frieght train, very cool. I had an old Electra Wagon and it had the caddy horn and it was loud. It is a dual horn and sounds very much like a train. With a few changes in wiring you could hook one up. Good luck.

flyguy- I dont know which is better, I just saw them in my book so I thought I might throw them out here for dicussion on the pros and cons of them.

<<MONOCHROMOUS>>- I dont want those horns, no way. For now the stock horn is ok, I'm not in any hurry to compete with semis :D

2001ExpSport is right, check out the junkyards for newer Caddys, those things are loud! Well, not necessarily loud, but deep, it travels. Its loud, but deep. Know what I mean? But it sounds really good. But hey, you gotta admit, chrome plated dual twin air horns sitting on the roof would look pretty boss.

Thanks guys you just gave me a great idea. My uncle works at a semi salvage yard (more air horns than you can shake a stick at). I might have to put up a few parts tomarrow.

Quick Air also makes an air horn. I'm not sure about the sound or although you need a tank. They say they put out about 125db but like riff said not sure how long they are.

Punkchild-Get me a biga$$ airhorn. I'll find a spot for it. The uglier the better....HEHEHEHEHEHE!!!!!
I cant wait till that bi$#@ neighbor pulls out in front of me again.
HEHEHE......WAAAHHH!!!!WAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!
Hey, at least she will know i'm about to run her ass over!!

My wife had an old Cadilac and they have great horns. Sounds like a Mac truck coming. I wanted to take it off the car before we sold it but didn't, wish I did now! You can probably get a Cady horn at the bone yard.

meeeep! meeeep!

My brother's contour has a factory horn that squeals like a teletubby that was kicked in the nards. hehe.... He is embarassed to use it. Instead he opts for flashing the bird, it seems to be effective.

--mark

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hella Air Horns

(LOL NITELIFE)

I put a set of Hella's on my wife's truck. They are LOUD. They are HIGH pitched. They get other driver's attention but they don't know who's honking.

Conclusion: Instead of moving out of your way other drivers tend to freak out, apply the brakes, look around for someone to get mad at, apply brakes, get frustrated, apply brakes, etc...

They’re the only horns I know of that actually cause traffic around you to slow down.

Back