Deleted | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Deleted

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome to the site, the search button will answer all that and more.... even going to their website will tell you all that stuff

imho its the best 1st mod to do. You will notice a slight difference. Very easy to install. Might want to keep original intake for smog check. KURTZ KUSTOMZ MOTORSPORTS {KKM}

The KKM is not an intake, its simply a cone filter ( S&B ) withy an adapter to mount it.

Kkm

Good first mod. Easy to do. Makes a slight improvement to throttle response at higher RPMs. Sounds cool. An excellent first step in external engine upgrades. Makes the most improvement with upgraded MAF, throttle body, and ECU chip.

Downsides: Not cheap. Future maintenance is more involved than just swapping out air filters. Does not change the intake tube itself. Oil from the fabric filter WILL eventually leach onto your MAF filaments, leading to pinging. This is fixable, but just something to be aware of. Also, for offroading, I am told the exposed filter does have a potential for sucking in lots of water.

Overall, I'd say it's worth it.

Oil from the fabric filter WILL eventually leach onto your MAF filaments
Never had that happen on 2 X's
I am told the exposed filter does have a potential for sucking in lots of water.
Only if you submerge the filter in water & then it would be over your hood & at that point you screwed anyway.
aldive is right, it's just an open filter on the end of the intake hose. Not a true intake system. You can buy a filter & the MAS adapter off of Ebay for alot less $$.

Anybody know what size maf adapter I need for a first gen ex, or know somebody that sells what I need? (4.0 ohv)

KKM seems popular on this forum, but $100 is pretty steep for a filter and adapter.

aldive said:
A better alternative would be to purchase an adapter off of e Bay and get one of the new Amsoil Ea air filters ( https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/eaau.aspx ); great flow and NO OIL, ever.

Al, I just got a new AMSOIL catalog yesterday in the mail; it has the new EA air filters in it. I plan to purchase one; but first I need to measure my KKM so that I am sure to get the correct size EA filter.

Kkm

Quote:
Oil from the fabric filter WILL eventually leach onto your MAF filaments

Never had that happen on 2 X's

It happened to mine after approximately 30,000 miles of KKM use. Cleaned the MAF and bingo--no more problem. This problem is also documented by the aftermarket MAF manufacturer PRO-M. In fact, in the literature that came with my sensor, they recommended not using conical aftermarket filters for just this reason.

Quote:
I am told the exposed filter does have a potential for sucking in lots of water.

Only if you submerge the filter in water & then it would be over your hood & at that point you screwed anyway.

True. Or hit a really big puddle. No personal experience with this problem, just passing on some secondhand information to consider.

Agreed on the not an intake issue. It is most definitely just a replacement air filter assembly.

majorlag said:
This problem is also documented by the aftermarket MAF manufacturer PRO-M.

In fact, in the literature that came with my sensor, they recommended not using conical aftermarket filters for just this reason.

Pro M is no longer; the company failed.

There are no oil aftermarket cone filters.

Pro M is no longer; the company failed.

Yes, sir, I am aware of that.

There are no oil aftermarket cone filters.

Thank you, sir, for pointing that out to me. I was not aware of that. The S&B filter that is (or was) part of the KKM package is not a no-oil filter. Just passing my personal anecdotal experience on to someone who posed a question.

Spend a bit more and get a MAC. KKM's seem like such a rip off. At least with MAC you can get a proven setup and get a full setup. I've seen them for $140/shipped.

$60, $50, jesus christ. S&B costs half that...

They don't have Mac's for a 1st gen.

celly said:
Spend a bit more and get a MAC. KKM's seem like such a rip off. At least with MAC you can get a proven setup and get a full setup. I've seen them for $140/shipped.

You can't use a MAC on a 1st gen, unless you relocate the battery...

it was my first mod

it was cheap

easy

and provides a slightly deeper sound and gives the throttle a sharper feel/response

plus it looks cool too when you pop the hood

love it

ps k and N can go to hell in a handbasket (for 350$$$!!)

enjoip8nt said:
love it

ps k and N can go to hell in a handbasket (for 350$$$!!)

How can you pass emissions in California with a KKM? Does it now have a CARB sticker too?

That's one reason why the K & N costs so much, you know...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ASMI makes them for 1st gens and they're even cheaper than MAC, albeit less refined. I scored their V8 kit just so I could get the intake tube which I rigged up to work with my Volant (SOHC model).

Back