Stock Ford CD Changer Problem, E-99? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Stock Ford CD Changer Problem, E-99?

duke16

Reaction score
City, State
Raleigh, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 5.0L AWD XLT
A friend just gave me a stock 10 CD changer he pulled from his old Explorer and I'm trying to wire it into my '97. I have everything wired up as far as I can tell, but the remote, or Commander, blinks E-99 and the head unit says "No DJ". The Part # is F3DF-18C830-AA and it's actually made by Sony for Ford.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just found out it was actually pulled from a Ford Windstar, not an Explorer. Would the CD changer not be compatible?

Does anyone know?

Depends on what year Windstar it came from. In '98 Ford redid all the wiring harnesses and if you've got a changer from a newer Windstar, its not going to work. Plus, Explorers only had 6 disc changers so I don't think a 10 disc is going to work either.

It was from an older model Windstar, the changer is dated 93. Why would the fact it's a 10 disc matter?

I don't know for sure, but I would guess somewhere in the wiring or the stereo itself that would make a difference.

Back