Body Lift Trouble...fresh out of ideas. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Body Lift Trouble...fresh out of ideas.

Gerst73

Reaction score
City, State
Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ranger XLT
While installing my body lift on my 2004 Ford Ranger XLT 4.0 V6, my tw freinds and I ran in to a little trouble with the cab mounting bolts. We could not get the bolts to turn out. The captive washer on the bottom of the bolts was spinning right with the bolt. We tried everything from holding it with a pair of pliers in ever increasing size to welding a piece of steel on to the washer and connecting directly to the frame. We tried to use air tools and they wouldn't work...we are all fresh out of ideas...Ford must have put some serious amounts of lock tight on these ****ers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

couldnt you just grind it off or cuttting torch as last optionand get new bolt

there are 6 bolts holding the cab on. 4 in the cab 2 in the engine.
use a torch on the 4 bolts in the cab. heat them from the bottom untill you just start to smell rubber, then zip them out with the impact. they will come right out. i've done 5-6 lifts on 01-05 rangers and that is the easy way to do them.
and have fun with the fuel neck extender. they use a smaller fuel line tube from 04 and up, but in the body lift kit they dont give you a smaller tube.

p/s dont use a torch on the 2 engine bay bolts its to close to the radiator.

Thanks for the info. I ended Up taking my truck to the closest 4x4 shop and they did it for me...I had enough of a workout on those bolts trying to get them out...I was afraid of melting the bushings so I did not take the chance and heat them up...the shop was able to get everything squared away for me...I'm now having a problem when I start my truck though, I hear a purge of air when I turn the key and then when it actually starts it turns over and I hear a Muffled Clunk under the passenger side floorboard, I don't hear this when I'm actually driving though...Any Ideas?

Um.....don't start it. That can't be a good thing.

Back