Failed Body Lift Attempt...Ideas?

Ranger379

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
middle of nowhere, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT 4X4 4.0 OHV Auto
well over summer i went to summit and got a pa-883 body lift, i shot the bolts the night before with pb blaster. anyway, went to my buddy's house located and cut the carper for all the body bolts. started at the very back, put the impact gun on it and it would break loose. after 15 mins we put a breaker bar on it....SNAP! broke the bolt. well last month i tried to do the other rear one and the whole body mount spins, tried channels locks but the rubber just slips.

anybody have any ideas on the broken bolt or spinning mount? i was thinking maybe just take sawzall or die grinder and cut thru the rubber and bolt. i think that might work, since the threads are in the bottom part of the mount... LMC Truck sells the body mounts, so i would just buy all 8 new rubber mounts, they arent cheap, but they arent that expensive.

id really like to do this over the winter, kinda got bummed out and gave up the first time, but i think its time to get the body lift done so any ideas are much appreciated! thanks guys! :salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i was thinking maybe just take sawzall or die grinder and cut thru the rubber and bolt. i think that might work, since the threads are in the bottom part of the mount... LMC Truck sells the body mounts, so i would just buy all 8 new rubber mounts, they arent cheap, but they arent that expensive.

QUOTE]

That's what I did. Went and got new bolts at the local Tractor Supply store also.
Be a good time to check out the condition of the body mounts also. I had to weld some new plate to mine so the bottom of the body lift would have a good foundation to set on thanks to the rust.

they arent cheap, but they arent that expensive.

When you don't have a lot of money, they're definitely expensive lol

kinda got bummed out and gave up the first time

I did the same thing. I broke one bolt and gave up.

What I plan on doing is going around the entire body, loosening(or snapping) every bolt around it, jacking up the body and replacing each one for security purposes at least. Cut all of them out if I have to.

i didnt think you could get a drill in some of the spots to drill them out so i just gave up, i guess if by cutting them in half will make them come out then i guess that will be my plan of attack! so just cutting thru the rubber will work for all of them then? hopefully i can get this done, i dont want to have to pay a shop to do it lol thanks for the replies

Cut the bolts above the rubber, with either a sawzall or a cutting wheel. No need to destroy the rubber if it can be avoided.

Before any cutting is done, I would take a torch to the bolt ends for a bit, before trying to loosen them. There is some thread locker on them, this will release the hold of it. A lot of people overlook that. That rubber is more like silicone, it can take the heat very well.

Cut the bolts above the rubber, with either a sawzall or a cutting wheel. No need to destroy the rubber if it can be avoided.

Before any cutting is done, I would take a torch to the bolt ends for a bit, before trying to loosen them. There is some thread locker on them, this will release the hold of it. A lot of people overlook that. That rubber is more like silicone, it can take the heat very well.

aw very good info. it seems ford puts locktite on everything, i didnt even think about that either. ill use a lil propane torch and see if that works.

thanks!

WOW! Why is this happening? I did the 792 2" lift last summer and didn't use any penetrators prior, never occurred to me this could happen. Is this a rust/regional issue?

WOW! Why is this happening? I did the 792 2" lift last summer and didn't use any penetrators prior, never occurred to me this could happen. Is this a rust/regional issue?

Realize we're in the sunshine state. We don't deal with all the road salt, and by connection rust, that the members up north and back east have to contend with.

lol ya, 11 winters in PA will destroy any metal lol. but ya, the only way to take bolts out in this area is to either do it when the vehicle is brand new, or lots of PB blaster, or break them off and drill them out lol.
the problem with vehicles in this part of the country is the frame rots out before the drive train comes close to wearing out lol

Back