Bumping feel when letting go of the brake | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bumping feel when letting go of the brake

99fordEB

Reaction score
City, State
Surprise, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Eddie Bauer
I have a 99 explorer and usually, not always, when i let go of the brake from a complete stop, the truck "bumps" a little. Hard to explain but I am hoping that most people know what I am talking about and if so, what can cause this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you feel the "bumping" thru the pedal or is it in the drivetrain?

the drivetrain. When I let go of the pedal, the "bump" is felt through the front end. Very similar to the feel you get when you shift from park to drive with a broken motor mount, only not that severe.

are your lugnuts and calipers tight. I had an issue one when my camiper was loose and clunking and also again when the tire shop did not troque my lug nuts and the wheel was loosening up.

sticky pads/cailpers....check the susp for loose parts or sticking parts i.e. shocks.
i know its a diff front end from mine but i had the reverse, it would "bump" when i applied the brakes, turned out to be a broken spring perch....have someone look at the front end as you apply and disengage the brakes so look for movement...

Do a search on slip yoke. You may need to lube it.

Do a search on slip yoke. You may need to lube it.

Slip Yoke!!!!!!!!! Went throught the same thing. First with my mazda pickup which was close enough to a ford and now with my 2000 explorer. Some one stated the slip yoke. Did my research sounded like the issue i had so i took it off greased it up and BANG no more. :)

Back