• Register Today It's free!

CB install

adub98

Reaction score
City, State
Olympia/Ellensburg, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer XLT V6
Got a new CB for the explorer today. A buddy did it in my last rig, anyone know where the hole threw the firewall is to run the cable and power cords are? Not real sure how to even power it up. It's got a red and black wire. I assume red is positive and black is negative but not sure where to put them. I don't squeez them in the battery cables and the terminals do I? Thanks guys after reading this, you get the idea that electronics are not a strength of mine. haha

when i wired up my CB i taped into the radio power. I pulled up the center cupholders and ran the ground to a metal screw in the center console, and then taped the hot into the ACC radio wire so the CB would be powered only when the key was turned on.

I had an aftermarked headunit so finding the individual wires was easy, for the stock head unit it might be easier to just tap into a cigarette lighter in the dash and just remember to turn the thing off when you get out.

Ok I'll give that a go. I'm at school and only have limited tools so I'll try the cig lighter first. I rarely used my CB in my F350 so I don't plan on using it much in the Explorer. I'll try to find the radio wire too.

Back