• Register Today It's free!

Installing Seat Recliner Lever

Ryanc721

Reaction score
City, State
Fairfield, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer Limited
does anyone know how to? is there a how to? i just got a new drivers side recliner lever and i need to know how to install it.. thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My seat recliner lever broke at the pivot pin a couple months ago, I've been meaning to get it replaced but with everything else live has been throwing at me, well let's just say it's still broken. Where did you get your replacement lever at? Ford? junk yard or? About how much did that little piece of cast metal and plastic set you back?

i got it from ped5stang..he was parting out explorers he had...he charged me about 40..but i need to know how to install it;)

i got mine from a junkyard for just a few dollars, and installed it yesterday in about an hour and half.

There are 4 bolt that hold it on. Two of them (seat bottom) are 13mm, the other (seat back) are T-45 Torx

First remove the seat from the car. There are 4 10mm bolts holding it in, and one t45 torx holding the seatbelt buckle sliding assembaly to the floorpan.

After getting the seat out, take off the plastic side trim, and the two 13mm bolts should be obvious.

As your next step, unclip the seat back upholstery. There is a black clip strip running along the bottom. You cant remove the upholstory but this gives you a little more leeway to work with. For the Torx bolts on the seat back, pull up on the upholstory and foam to get to the very top one.

After removing the 4 bolts, just swap them out, and youre good to go. If you can have someone help you to get the seat back in the right spot to thread the bolts in, itll make the job even easier.

just fyi-

i replaced my driver side handle assembly a few months ago and didn't have to remove the seat, just slide it up as far as it can go and you're good to go.

just fyi-

i replaced my driver side handle assembly a few months ago and didn't have to remove the seat, just slide it up as far as it can go and you're good to go.

True, but it makes it a hell of a lot easier, to me at least. A few bolts didnt kill me, plus, i got to clean under the seat

seat lever new generation

hi, I just read your thread and I was wondering if the seat lever could not be replaced by something better and more convenient to use. The problem of broken seat lever has been mentioned so often in ohter forums so there have to be a solution .

I am searching now for someone who has already changed his seat adjustment in a new revolutionary way.

So if you know anyone, please send me the link or let me know.

Thank you!!:salute:

Hi guys. Are you talking about the lever that controls the seat back tilt? I have a 91 Explorer and the lever (potmetal) broke in half?

Back