Installing four door leaf pack, problem (have pics) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Installing four door leaf pack, problem (have pics)

thatoneguy

Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Sport 4.0L OHV
Hey guys just had a quick question. I'm installing the four door leaf packs that I got the other day, put the first one on fine no problems, all was going well with the second one than i noticed that part of the leaf was I guess you can stay sticking out I have a pic below. The other leaf pack is welded or clamped down at the part that's being held (if that makes sense).

023.jpg

024.jpg

I was wondering if I need to get a new leaf pack. Not sure if this happens often. I talked to LMC truck and the lady said the shipping department is closed so they have to call me tomorrow. That is if I have to get a new leaf pack. Just wanted your opinions is all, I'm not sure if this will create a problem in the future. Right now I stopped putting the leaf on, pending this whole thing.

Here are some pics of the other leaf without that problem above. Just to compare.

025.jpg

026.jpg

Sorry for the big pics as well

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Awesome guys thanks for the quick response! Got the leaf pack on, now its time for the spindles tomorrow.

For some reason though even with warrior shackles and the leaf pack the rear is the same height, 33" any other ideas on how to raise the rear. SOA maybe? That's the only thing I can think of, not sure about deavers.

Awesome guys thanks for the quick response! Got the leaf pack on, now its time for the spindles tomorrow.

For some reason though even with warrior shackles and the leaf pack the rear is the same height, 33" any other ideas on how to raise the rear. SOA maybe? That's the only thing I can think of, not sure about deavers.

well the website says they'll give UP TO 2" MAXIMUM. so i'd say go ahead and do the SOA. just sounds strange as to why nothing has changed. did you intsall new shocks also? could this be a reason?

Blacksheep Josh I didn't install new shocks yet I plan on it in the near future once everything is completed. Well I shouldn't really say "completed" since it will always be a project ;)

MountaineerGreen yeah SOA would be huge when compared to spindles. I did have an extra add a leaf come with the spindles when I ordered them 2" to be exact. I can't really add a leaf though so I'll have to have a shop do that once I get the spindles on.

One thing is for sure though the ride quality is 100 times better than with my old mono leaf.

I suppose when I do get the spindles on and do the add a leaf, I can adjust the torsion bars again to even it out if the rear is sagging.

it's just not making sense why the lift isn't showing. did you change tire size at the same time?

it's just not making sense why the lift isn't showing. did you change tire size at the same time?

Nope same tires, I drove the truck around for a bit checked the U bolts all that good stuff and still nothing. Kind of a bummer. :(

i'm thinking maybe the 4 door leaf has less of an arch then the mono leaf to makeup for the height? so could it be canceling out?

MountaineerGreen yeah SOA would be huge when compared to spindles. I did have an extra add a leaf come with the spindles when I ordered them 2" to be exact. I can't really add a leaf though so I'll have to have a shop do that once I get the spindles on.

If you installed those leaf springs, you can do the AAL, just unbolt the axle, remove the center bolt and put the AAL in. Put it all back together.

hey thatoneguy, did the springs come with the required bushings, or did you need to get those separately?

calisoundmix the bushings came with the leafs. no need to order them separately.

MountaineerGreen, I was going to install the add-a-leaf today but decided against it for the time being. In the pictures I posted those metal cylinders in between the leafs seem to be holding them together as well as that center bolt. I'm not concerned about the center bolt as I am with the metal cylinders..

Back