• Register Today It's free!

Cracked Head... Help!

huntersteve61

Reaction score
City, State
Finleyville, Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT 4Dr.
Ok simple as that.. I knew the head was leaking a little.... hydrocarbons were a lil high and had intended on replacing it come spring... Well now the thermostat seemed to maybe be stuck open... long warmups, luke warm air after 2 mins but water still cold.. etc. so decieded do the whole thing

NOW I have heads off after only 4 hours, sent them out to machine shop and get phone call.. valves were sunk in so he pulled them out and heads cracked... Now they want 300 per side for reman or closer to 400 for new.. close figures... now my questions

1.) trucks at 150K should I spend 600 bucks?
2.) wouldn't it be cheaper to r&r engine?
3.) where are you guys getting your heads from the machine guy told me the factory heads are ****... ok thanks guys

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My X was shooting steamed coolant against the firewall when I got it. I went with aftermarket cyl heads from NAPA for about $360 each (probably higher prices here in AK), had them put on at 142000 miles, and now it's at 147000 miles and still runs like a top.

I wouldn't bother with reman'd stock heads because they will just crack again.

360 each!!! wowzers!

I found alabama heads for about 230 a piece so thats 460 plus 150 bucks I'm told for the head gasket kit, then need bolts etc etc etc.

OR I found a 90K engines out of 99 ohv, 90 day warr. and dude wants 600 delivered to location of vehicle.... just plug n play no variables and first calculations appear to be cheaper and easier.... anyone know anything about this? couldn't I then sell the intake and manifolds and things or simply hold for parts?? thats my plans at least.. I have to let him know tomorrow or hes selling it... let me know

I just went through the same thing 6 months ago. I decided to install new heads on my engine instead of replacing it with an engine that I knew nothing about. You could go through all that work replacing the engine and then be in the same boat 6 months down the road. If the bottom end of your engine is in good shape I say put some new heads on and be done. I got mine from http://www.idealcylinderhead.com/ and so far I have put 7k on them and they are doing great. The engine doesn't use a drop of oil between changes with 150k on it now.

Ok I have chosen to get a new engine and go from there... The heads just cost too much and there was a knocking when it was started last...

I have found a 99 engine ohv 89K miles 600 w/90 day warr 600.00
I have found an 02 ohv out of ranger w/ 28K and 90 day warr 700.00

Obviously 3 years and 60k less are worth the extra but will an 02 direct connect in my 99 setup??? This is something I don't know. vin and engine appear the same but what about electrical, sensors, plugs, computer? please help I must choose by monday

Ok Guys I'm back... That job sucked.... I hate fitting an engine and auto trans together.. it sucks!!

Heres what Amy got: 89xxx miles engine from an 00, redid intake since new one had no egr setup. new valve covers, everything looked good even got to call original owner and talk to him...older factory guy had all the oil change paperwork... every 3500! love hearing that! 450.00 was the price I paid plus whatever I had in new gaskets fluids ****.... beer.. So lets call it 550.00 done...

She runs great No problems Now I have an entire block, and intake, manifolds, etc.... everything but the heads basically.. can I sell these?

Are 4.0 heads prone to cracking? I thought this problem was addressed after the 2.9L head problems? My 2.9L went 273,000 miles before it blew.

Not 100% sure but to my knowledge the answer is no... Mine was having a head gasket problem and it got hot one day when my T-stat stuck.. I would assume thats what did in my heads.. new engines running great. apporx 500 miles on her and shes running better then this truck ever has.

I wouldn't say "prone to cracking" but it is one of the weaker links..

Head gaskets, Cracking Heads (especially if overheated), and lower intake gasket leak (in no particular order) are probably the most common major type things that can go wrong on the 4.0.. The lower end is pretty bullet proof.

the 90tm heads (1991-1992) are supposed be the worst of the 4.0 heads.
the 93tm (1993-1994) are supposed to be better..
95tm and newer heads change the compression so you don't want to use them on a 1991-1994 unless you know your going to increase your compression with them.

~Mark

EDIT: Whoops, I thought you were a 1st gen.. you already have the 97tm heads (in your 99) which as far I know are NOT known for cracking.. its the 1st gens that were.. Course, you overheat the engine and all bets are off.

Back