Cracked cylinder head symptoms | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cracked cylinder head symptoms

thank god i found this site.. Cylinder heads.

ok first time posting in this site i just joined about 10 mins ago. and im going to apologize ahead of time (SORRY) .. cuz im long winded. im just going to give you all the details.

What i have is a 91 Ford Ranger with the 4L in it. Manual transmission 2 wheel drive.

It currently has 380,000KM *KILOMETERS* on it and ive maintained this engine to the max. I recently did a lower intake on it, water pump is good the engine over all with the exception of the rocker arm and push rod defect known in a string of these engines.

The problem im having is ive been going through (since doing the lower intake) small amounts of coolant over periods of time. I noticed that the water pump gasket was seeping *(again cuz when i changed the pump my die grinder had a sanding disc on it and i forgot to change it to a scotch brite and it left a un even groove) Anyway ive addressed that issue. I was good for a while then it started going through coolant again it would only use up maybe an inch from the top of the rad cap. But sick of topping it up i added some Irontite. Wich i used to sell to customers working at a parts retailer for many years. I even used this stuff in a tempo wich had a blown head and that car was going through about 2 quarts of coolant a day delivering parts and you couldnt shut the car off cuz it wouldnt start again. Used irontite and it ran PERFECTLY for ever after.

So 4 days after adding the irontite, i noticed last week driving to work that i had no heat, and one thing my truck has always had is alot of heat from the heater core. I opened the hood and my engine sounded like a percolator, the coolant surges through the system. I switched the coolant lines at the heater core it fixed the heat problem some what. Then I did a flush, changed the rad cap changed the thermostat. Thermostat is slightly defective i think because the engine temp rises and lowers dramatically. But now its starting to do the percolator thump again.

Friends of mine said its the head gaskets, im starting to think so too. Cuz now i have black floaties in the coolant.

The engine runs so good i dont want to give up on it. When i bought the truck in 98 it had 180psi compression in all the cylinders except for 1 and 6: cylinder 1 had 181 and 6 had 179.

Any suggestions help and guidance would be awesome cuz this truck is my life right now.

Sorry im long winded.

replaced cylinder heads

I bought a set of new aftermarket heads from http://kingcylinderheads.com/ and everything was great. Really impressed by the heads and price. Was actually surprised of the quality considering other places have pretty bad reputations for not so good quality aftermarket heads. just an fyi. Thanks!

threads from 1999 are awesome, people typed differently

Back