• Register Today It's free!

What to do about exhaust?

fordman00

Reaction score
City, State
Quincy, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
I have a 1994 ford explorer with a 4.0 V6. I am wanting to make the exhaust loud and sound good but I dont really know what to do. Any advice or recommendations would be helpful.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think that I would have a custom cat back eshaust system made for the truck at a local exhaust shop.

Good luck....

You can do a custom exhaust or order a cat-back. Do a search, there are endless amount of info on this topic.

exhaust

Tne best modification that I have made to my Explorer thus far.....is the custom exhaust. It changed the entire attitude on my truck. I had a friend of mine who owns a Midas muffler shop do the custom work. He installed a Raven splitter that allowed it to become dual from a single, and the sound is better then I imagined. It ran about $300 or less. Later,
Ronnie

go custom. they fit better. theyre welded. you can get any configuration you want. and best of all, theyre typically cheaper.

What muffler would sound the loudest?

Delta 40's might do the trick

flowmaster delta 40 isnt the loudest... the loudest is the regular flowmaster 40 dual chamber... it is what i have.... people think i have a v8 and a blower

jims right. the delta flow tones it down a little. regular flowmaster 40 series is the loudest, unless you run open pipes, heh, which you really shouldnt do.

Can you get dual exhaust to come out at the back of the vehicle? I just talked to a guy at Midas and he says that you can't do that.

talk to another shop

I have an '01 Sport Trac and I think the exhaust systems are the same as most other X's, cept my pipe used to swing to the side behind the rear tire, and most X's just go straight back. I went to 2 or 3 shops and wanted to get dual exhaust, but all of them said it couldnt be done, cuz its too hard to maneuver the second pipe over/under the axle or whatever onto the opposite side. So i ended up getting flowmaster 40 with a single pip, but branching to a dual chrome tip.... its pretty good, but at times kinda sounds like its "whining". so in addition to my response, i guess im wonderin if anyone knows why it might 'whine' like that when i step on the gas? i mean its a deep sound, but its kinda whiny, not like some of the good exhaust i've heard from like tahoes and stuff

remember that it has a 6 cylinder....it wont sound as loud as the v8 tahoes... that whine is probably v6 belt whine... i have it .... it sounds like i have a blower on a v8

Originally posted by fordman00
Can you get dual exhaust to come out at the back of the vehicle? I just talked to a guy at Midas and he says that you can't do that.

My custom exhaust exits straight out the REAR. Find another exhause shop to do your job.

Good luck....

Take a look at this. Dead Link Removed
I printed the pics and took them to a couple of muffler shops untill I found one that said "Hell yes we can do that". They are out there....

you dont need dual exhuast. its a v6. it will just mess up the rear compression. buy a 40 series flow and slap it on there. with no tail pipe. mine dumps out 2 inches from the muffler. i set off many a car alarm.

Boy if T-Bones exhaust doesn't look familiar. Damn that photopoint

mike, if it doesnt exit behind the axle it is against federal law and you may get in trouble... US DOT dictates that on a passenger vehicle, the exuast must exit behind the rear axle or passenger cabin....

i know what the law is. but not too many cops know about it or enforce it. ive never had a cop look under my car too see where my exhuast let out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Where has T-Bone been?? He has not posted here in the longest time.

Back