What to do about exhaust? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What to do about exhaust?

i never got to run exhaust on my ex because it was a lease

but when i got my 351 V8 in the Torino..... i love me exhaust... heres what i got on there, in order from the engine

Hedman Hedders, Exhaust cutoffs, H-pipe, Glasspacks, pipes and tips

for those of you who dont know what cutoffs are, they are small Y splitters, you pull a cable and it closes off the pipes after the splitter, so it comes right out of the headers..... now thats good stuff, i usually run with those closed because its TOO loud, i use the packs more often, even though its pretty much open pipes

course you guys would be breaking MANY a law with my kind of exhaust

God i love old cars.... what emission laws???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

....cherrybombs on a muscle car? are trying to make it into a rice rocket?
sorry if im being rude but i have this thing against glasspacks

first of all, they are not cherry bombs, they are thrush 28 inch glasspacks, the original muffler of muscle

second of all, ricers dont use glasspacks, they use performance mufflers, that dont have any fiberglass at all

third of all, it is foolish to assume that a 1.8 liter civic with a glasspack could sound anything like a 5.8 liter Ford

what is this exhaust opened after the mufflers? trying to make your SUV into a muscle car? i would bet you anything dual packs on my 351 Cleveland would set off more alarms than a 4 liter with no pipes

im sure it would. glasspacks are loud as hell. i just dont like them. i like the more throaty sound of flows.
and your right most rice rockets have performance mufflers. its the ghetto ones that have glass packs.
ehh the worst is a 4cyl with a broken glass pack.

thats cool man, i was just defending my ride.

anyway, im redoing the whole exhaust soon, still trying to decide if i want to keep the packs, do some flows, or a flowtech warlock muffler that you can uncap and run right out of the muffler.

the thing i like about packs on a big engine is that when it idles its one solid sound, just a resonance, no rumbling, just a deep tone, and then when you jam it, it kinda makes huge CLAP CLAP noises, my neighbors said they hear me tear away about 1.5 miles away from the house

flows would be nice and muscle sounding, but i really like the sound of the packs on this car. i have heard many other packs on many other cars, and YES they are really really crappy on firebirds and ricers, but on large engines its all good.

plus flows are $60 more a piece :rolleyes:

have you ever put flows on your car before? if you havnt then it might be worth a try, too see if you like it. just get a solid h-pipe and put 2-chamber flows on the ends. then have it dump out of the muffler. no tail pipe. it will sound so mean with that 351. my 244 is like that and it sounds mean as hell. the 351 with 2 chambers and no tail pipes would roar.

the only thing i am concerned about with the dumping exhaust is that the fumes will get into the passenger compartment, and that the escaping fumes will damage the paint where it comes out. there will be a LOT of emissionless exhaust going through there, so, i dont know if i can pull that off

mikeresin...can you pass inspection with your exhaust? i was thinking of getting a dump, or just taking off my tailpipe. my flowmaster 40 just isnt loud enough. i want the low rumble. i know a dump will make it loud, but my friend has one on his v6 firebird, and it sounds terrible. does yours rumble nice and low or sound like a loud lawnmower like the firebird?

no mine sounds like a low rumble. i have the V6 also. you can hear my car comming from very far away. it gets anoying on long drives though. especially on the freeway. at speeds over 80 ive been told it sounds like a speed boat *scratches head* im not sure what to think about that.

what do you do when it comes time for inspection?

well i still have another year before i have to get it smogged again. and when that time comes ill just have the tail pipe welded on then cut it off again. only costs 25$ to have the pipe welded on

mike, i just got an idea... for 25 bucks you can fabricate a pipe out of flex tubing exhuast pipe with a flanged connector to fit over your muffler exit and clamp it on for inspection with a exhuast clap... get it inspected then un clamp it...... then toss it in the garage till next inspection

coulndt you just use a bolt on clamp for inspections? i dont know jack about smog laws. the sound like they suck on all fronts.

Originally posted by BUCHVILLEMAN
i dont know jack about smog laws. the sound like they suck on all fronts.

Except on the environmental front and the fact that we can pass along some clean air to our children.....

From my understanding isnt the main "environmental" part of exhaust the catalytic converter? i guess bigger pipes means more exhaust but arent the laws specific about instalation and types of mufflers and pipe size for vegicle? i dont know. how do they measure smog? it is my impression that a lot of th elaws are beaurocratic by nature and generate revenuw more than saving the environment. but i can be way off.

hmmm the flex hose sounds like a good idea. ill look into it.
yeh smog laws are lame in some ways but overall they are good.
i was quite dissapointed when i found out that i cant put a 302 in my explorer becuase of california smog laws.

mike, you can put a 302 into an explorer.... you just have to do it properly...

Originally posted by jimabena74
mike, if it doesnt exit behind the axle it is against federal law and you may get in trouble... US DOT dictates that on a passenger vehicle, the exuast must exit behind the rear axle or passenger cabin....

Not to mention all the carbon monoxide you'd be sniffing....mmmmmmmmmm. :)

there is no dictated size as to how big your exhuast can or cant be but there are noise restrictions and noxious gas exit restrictions..... i could put on 1 foot diameter pipe if i wanted... would i ? no... i would have less backpressure than if i terminated the pipe all together.... i would have no torque.....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i dont mind the exhuast smell. only comes in the car when there is no wind and all the windows are down and im stopped.
and in california i cant put a 302 in it becuase in 95 explorers didnt come with V8's so i cant put one in. you can only put an engine in a car that was distributed by the factory for that year and model. if i had a 96 explorer i could do it no problem. but its a 95

Back