• Register Today It's free!

humming

ramren16

Reaction score
City, State
greeley, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 explorer sport
im sure this has been covered before i searched with no luck. when i drive down the road and let of the accelerator i cant tell where the noise is coming from it doesnt make the noise when i am pressing the gas at all i it first thought it was my tires but if it was the tires the humming go and come like that, i just got my gears redone and i dont remember if it was making the noise before or not. but for some reason i cant imaging if something is not right in the diffs it would make the noise off and on like i described before. im thinking tranny of transfer case. anyone have any input on this

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

maybe drive shaft?!? the s10 we used to have had a slight bend in the shaft and it did the same thing like it was bent just enough to rub the undercarriage of the truck but only did it on acceleration.... hope u figure it out and good luck

i dont think i can to that the driveshaft spins all the time if i just apply any pressure to the gas pedal the humming will stop

41 views and only one response WOW thanks for the help

The rear is not setup right . According to the ford manual it is either a bad gear pattern aka backlash or the bearing preload is not correct.

Untitled.png

i second that its the gears.

UNLESS you feel a vibration which you're decribing as a hum, in which case it's a bad U joint (probably lost a cap etc) if it's a U joint you'd probably feel a clunk when shifting from drive to reverse while sitting still.

i have noticed some oil at around the bottom of the rear diff and on the inside of my rear rims it may be running low on fluids from leaking i have and appointment for tommorow to check on this

i have noticed some oil at around the bottom of the rear diff and on the inside of my rear rims it may be running low on fluids from leaking i have and appointment for tommorow to check on this

or you could take a ratchet and remove the fill plug and stick you're finger in there and feel for the oil level and it will take way less time and wont cost you anything...

besides, if it's a newly built rear end and all the oil's leaked out of it already... well thats not a good sign.

or you could take a ratchet and remove the fill plug and stick you're finger in there and feel for the oil level and it will take way less time and wont cost you anything...

besides, if it's a newly built rear end and all the oil's leaked out of it already... well thats not a good sign.

thats the main reason why i am taking it in the place that installed they will have to work on it for free its not my fault they didnt do it right the first time

thats the main reason why i am taking it in the place that installed they will have to work on it for free its not my fault they didnt do it right the first time

ahh well makes seance then.. warranty time.

Back