9 expl limited - HUM | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

9 expl limited - HUM

bitterdog

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 explorer limited 4.0 s
My 99 explorer limited just started getting this god aweful humming noise in the front end after i had the tires rotated. I thought maybe the tires were causing the humming so I had them rotated back but the humming is still there.

The humming sounds alot like the sound strips on the side of highways but not quite as loud.

If im going down the freeway I throw it up into nuetral to see if that was the issue. it does not go away.

So its a constant hum

CV's?

How do I check them ?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

so i pulled the battery post and the flashing 4wd lights went away for a day or two but came back. I also rotated my tired back to make sure that wasnt the problem. the humming is still there.

Is it possible maybe I have water in my differentials and thats causing the humming? When I went on vacation , I crossed a stream that was almost up to the doors.

so i pulled the battery post and the flashing 4wd lights went away for a day or two but came back. I also rotated my tired back to make sure that wasnt the problem. the humming is still there.

Is it possible maybe I have water in my differentials and thats causing the humming? When I went on vacation , I crossed a stream that was almost up to the doors.
Kinda sounds like a wheel bearing to me.

I'm having the same thing, the humming is louder at different speeds though... 25 to 30 is ungodly loud then quiets down till about 35 to 40... Its very annoying and can't be ignored...

I did some research and some chevy owners found their front drive shaft had a bad U joint I beleive was the problem, does that sound possible? I guess some trucks the front drive shaft turns whether its in 4 or not.

Back