Wobble from 18 inch wheels on a 1999 Explorer. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wobble from 18 inch wheels on a 1999 Explorer.

I have a 2008 explorer 2 whl dr, 4 door, 4.0 with 18 in factory chrome wheels. I am selling it and placed the 18in wheels with original Michlein tires, on my 1999 explorer sport, 2 wheel dr, 4.0 2door. The front end wobbles at 55 to 75 MPH. Had the front end aligned and wheels balanced again. Put new lower and upper ball joints on the 99 explorer. When I put the wheels back on the 2008 - no problem. When I put the 15in wheels back on the 99 explorer = no problem. But when I switch and put the 18in wheels on the 99 Explorer - I still get a wobble at high to medium speeds. Why am I getting a wobble when I switch the wheels, but the wheels are fine when on the 2008? and the 15 in wheels are fine on the 1999? at high speeds??

welcome

Thanks

Since this is my first time joining a forum - I have no clue how to do anything. Thanks for moving my thread to where it belongs. Hope I get some serious replies outher than people wanting to sell things.

I don't know too much about this, but have you tried jacking up the front and "shaking" the front tire? With the 18" wheel on, I mean. See if you can get the movement and see what is causing it. Worth a shot, anyway.

Back