When I brake it isnt smooth please help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

When I brake it isnt smooth please help

bigjohn

Reaction score
City, State
Newport News, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 sport trac
Ok when i brake the explorer doent shake but it almost jerks when you are braking any help would be great

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

probably warped rotors from heat build up,,,they can either be turned , or replaced,

my fronts have like 4000 miles left on them (estimated) they have light groove marks in them and I get the vibrating feeling a little when I slow down. Was gonna have the rotors turned but since I dont know how long the rotors have on them, I looked around for a new set of rotors and decided on a set suggested on another forum. I am getting 4 cross drilled and slotted rotors plus pads all around lol. Cant wait to get them installed. Hopefully that will fix my vibration..if not, then somethin is way loose up front lol

If they are jerking then you are going to have to replace.

Good choice to get the cross drilled slotted rotors. They'll dissipate the heat and not warp as easily. While you're at it, you should put some sweet powder coated calipers on all fours. It'll really dress up the wheels and I know cuz i did it already and braking is sooooo smoooooth now and every once and a while I'll pull up to an X owner with the rusted calipers and watch em check out my sweet crossed drilled and powder coats! LOL

I did the coated drilled rotors, and they have not warped in the 16K miles I have had them on. And they still look new due to the coating.

However a sudden jerk while braking, if it starts after you begin braking and not at the same time, could be the trans shifting down harshly. Seems to be common on higher mileage 5R55 trans. Ours has started doing it recently and I believe its time to change the fluid and filter again, and I hope it goes away.

Where did you get your crossdrilled rotors from? I had my 03 in the shop today and i need 4 new rotors again. this is my 2nd brand new set in 45k miles. i am not hard on brakes, but i am using ceramic pads. could that have anything to do with it? What would you suggest for pads all around? i only went for ceramic so they wouldn't throw off brake dust.

Warping Rotors (front) - Several Sets

:usa:
Problem with mine as well. Had them turned and within a month, they warped again.

So, purchased a complete set of slotted/cross drilled from e bay and complete set of ceramic pads.

Actually, the rear right calliper locked up. Damn. Warranty replaced the calliper, and the ebay seller sold me a new single rotor.

Worked great for another month or so, and now back to the same problem. UHhhhg. We are talking about 2k miles before they rewarp.

Truck is unmodified in any way. Stock everything.

Now what? Is this a known issue? Suggestions?

:usa:
Problem with mine as well. Had them turned and within a month, they warped again.

So, purchased a complete set of slotted/cross drilled from e bay and complete set of ceramic pads.

Actually, the rear right calliper locked up. Damn. Warranty replaced the calliper, and the ebay seller sold me a new single rotor.

Worked great for another month or so, and now back to the same problem. UHhhhg. We are talking about 2k miles before they rewarp.

Truck is unmodified in any way. Stock everything.

Now what? Is this a known issue? Suggestions?

Check for sticking calipers. Explorers came with organic pads not the semi metallic or ceramic . Organic pads do not leave that really dark brake dust. Aftermarket lists semi metallic, organic and ceramic. I know a few people that used ceramics and the rotors warped soon after the pads were installed. Keep in mind the aftermarket rotors tend to be thinner than the OEMs. If you could get the OEMs for a good price I would go that route. I went with the organic pads on my Explorer. I turned rotors only once and discard at the next brake job. I can't stand the pulsating brake pedal feeling. I haven't warped any rotors yet. I believe the ceramics dissipated the heat from the pads right onto the rotors and it help it warp sooner.

Thanks. Now just need to find a cheaper set than OEM. I thought the slotted/cross drilled was supposed to be better by everyones standard. They are warranty, but they are not going to swap again (this was the third time in a year).

Brake pads - I was also told the ceramics were the better to go with. Funny, brake dust was never an issue, but I would much rather have the dust and clean the rims than the damn warp rotor brake pulse.

How to check for "sticking" caliper (other than the replaced one since it actually locked up)?

Back