4x issue, Transfer engages, but... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4x issue, Transfer engages, but...

Reaction score
City, State
Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer Sport
I just got the first snowfall up here, and last night as i was going up my hill (deadend) i was spinning the rear tires and it barely made it up the hill. I thought my issue was resolve that i had before, but it appears not.

This is what i know:
  • I engage either 4high or 4Low and the light goes on and i can feel it engage.
  • I know the transfer engages because it fells real low, in low4.
  • The rear wheels spin and the front do nothing, i know this from watching outside the vehicle, any suggestions for a fix.

to think i got rid of my jeep....:(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The first thing to check would be to put all four wheels in the air, set the switch to 4high, and see if it drives the front driveshaft or not. If not, it's possible you lost the chain or the transfer case clutch in the t-case. If it does lock and drive the front shaft, then there's an issue somewhere in the front axle. We'll have to dig further.

Catastrophic t-case failures are not exactly common, but not unheard of either. Start there and let us know what you find. :)

The first thing to check would be to put all four wheels in the air, set the switch to 4high, and see if it drives the front driveshaft or not. If not, it's possible you lost the chain or the transfer case clutch in the t-case. If it does lock and drive the front shaft, then there's an issue somewhere in the front axle. We'll have to dig further.

Catastrophic t-case failures are not exactly common, but not unheard of either. Start there and let us know what you find. :)

I also noticed the 4wd light flashes off and on, i ran my my SCT flash programmer and received no codes?

The 4x4 stuff is all controlled through the GEM module, you can't read it with a standard scan tool.

Ok, i just tried it out and it is engaging and driving the wheels. I noticed though it doesnt seem to come out of 4wd, it has the auto 4wd, but assumed that when it was in auto it ran 2wd until needed...is this incorrect? The 4wd and 4wd low light blinks occassionally when i engage it and try to turn it off? PLease help! winter is in effect here...

will a ranger automatic w/o electric shift fit on a 98 ford explorer automatic electric shift.. i want to delete the electric shift and turn it into a manual shift 4x4

Yup, sure will. Just cut a hole in the floor for the shifter and it will bolt right up. May need to get a different front driveshaft though, the earlier style from 1st gens. Not completely sure though. Not sure about the computer either, might have to trick it somehow. Plenty of people have done this though, just need to do some searching and read up on it. This is actually the next mod I plan on doing. :) Make sure you get all the shift linkage from the donor truck though, and the boot.

someone has done a write up on this, try serching " BW 1354" i had the same problem with my ex, but wrecked it b4 i got the chance to figure it out.

just courous, did you do the brown wire mod on your ex?

Replaced the shift motor, shifts great to 4hi-4lo, but front diff seems like its not disengaging. has binding when turning as if its still engaged in 4wd. Is there a sensor or something? my Jeep used to have an air servo to engage the front, does this have something that would keep the fron in 4wd, also i notice it does seem to come out of 4wd every so often, usually after a high way commute, because when i turn at low-slow speeds the axle binding isnt there? Please help...

sounds like you're stuck in 4WD hi as the front axle shouldn't disengage, there is not vacuum disconnect after 1996

Back